Domains aren't showing up in AGO

07-28-2014 10:09 AM
DaveMenaker
New Contributor

Created a file GDB in 10.0 (so I can't share from Desktop). GDB has one point feature class with a handful of fields and domains. Tested on desktop and worked great. Uploaded to AGO, created a map, and my domains don't show up. What did I do wrong or what am I missing?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were uploading a FGDB directly to Online, which appears to have a problem still.

The Share As service workflow always works for me (but admittedly, I don't do it that often). This makes me think the problem is somehow related to your data and the way it's configured. We would need a way to reproduce the problem which means getting your data and trying it out. I think the best way to proceed is to open an incident with Esri Technical support so we can have a reproducible case.

Mike

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

I don't have a support subscription.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Well, perhaps you can zip up some part of your data into FGDB and make it accessible here.

Mike

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

Recent attempt that replicates the dropped domains problem when sharing as a service. All help is appreciated.

Link to map package:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1e4e2c5dfa73409cae00cdac9a68b1de#overview

Link to feature class layer:

DailyRounds4

Fourth attempt at Daily Rounds

https://services4.arcgis.com/88rfrrytOLWa0xax/arcgis/rest/services/DailyRounds4/FeatureServer

Link to map:

DailyRounds4

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

I see the issue. You've created the domains and populated them with values, but you haven't associated these domains with the field in your layer. Here's a graphic on how to do that from the Catalog panel in ArcMap. Note, right-click the feature class...my red arrow is a bit off.

domains.png

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

Thanks, Mike. I think you did identify my problem. I was attempting to make those field-domain associations in the Subtypes tab instead of the Fields tab. I'll check to see if that makes the difference.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

i believe domains should also work off a subtype. Domains connected to subtypes basically create a 2 level hierarchy. But your dataset you shared is empty. I'm not sure if that impacts things. Basically, the domain values display based on the value of the subtype. If you have no records and thus no value yet for the subtype field, I'm not sure we can figure out what domain to apply...

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

No data because I'm setting this up to use with Collector. Thanks to your help I'm clear on my mistake now.

I was attempting to make field-domain associations at the subtype level and not at the field level. I want all the subtypes to have the same field-domain associations, so I won't make any associations on the subtype level.

Thanks again for your help!

UPDATE: I was also trying to use common domains across multiple subtypes. It was actually working online, but it was not working within Collector. Unique domains for each subtype solved the problem. I'm sure their is a better way to do it, but at least it's working, now.

0 Kudos
RobertHewlett
Occasional Contributor

Similar problem. Domains show properly on ArcGIS server 10.3 (local PostgreSQL EEGDB in the back-end) but published to ArcGIS Online, using ArcMap 10.5, to a hosted feature service with an ArcGIS server 10.41 back-end then domains do not work as expected.

In the Drawing Info area is where things start to slide the wrong way

https://services1.arcgis.com/KsnB2VOAvO5LjdB4/ArcGIS/rest/services/bcit_poi_with_templates/FeatureSe... 

My android app pulls the coded value text from the types and I always get the raw number not the text.

What a type looks like on the local ArcGIS server REST endpoint (10.3):

Types:
ID: 1
Name: Classroom
Domains:
type_of_poi:
Inherited
Templates:
Description:
Prototype:
user_name: null
type_of_poi: 1
comment: null
Drawing Tool: esriFeatureEditToolPoint

What the type looks like on the AGO REST endpoint (10.41):

Types:
ID: 1
Name: 1
Domains:
Field Name: type_of_poi
Inherited
Templates:
Description:
Drawing Tool: esriFeatureEditToolPoint
Prototype:
Attributes:
type_of_poi: 1

There are no subtypes in the EEGDB, only one domain (type_of_poi) but the field is a long.  

0 Kudos
DeniseTolness1
New Contributor III

We just moved to Arc10.4.1 now I can not use ArcMap to publish to AGOL I get a the 99999 error and publishing fails. So I added a zipped File Geodatabase and that published my feature service to AGOL but now I have no domains. Workaround does not work, 999999 error. 

0 Kudos