Feature layer not displaying in Explorer app, but displays in AGO

06-14-2019 08:12 AM
JustinRichardson
New Contributor III

I have a map with several layers from one hosted Feature layer.  In ArcGIS Online all of the layers display properly, but when I open the same map in Explorer or Collector, 2 of the 9 layers don't display at all, but they are listed in the legend.  What is really strange is one of the layers is labeled by its attributes and the labels display, but not he point feature.  I've deleted the online map and built a new one from scratch, but the same thing happens.  I've overwritten the Feature layer, but that didn't help either.  This is a map that we've been using for years and have never had this problem.

54 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh I get it Randy - I'll definitely express to Microsoft the need for urgency in resolving this issue.  Thanks for the versions - I'll check with the folks who are in charge of Explorer on that working at previous releases. 

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Link to my post in iOS Runtime forum - appears this is affecting runtime checkouts as well:

https://community.esri.com/thread/236290-invalid-renderer-json-in-runtime-geodatabase 

0 Kudos
CraigDouglas
New Contributor

We just uninstalled  KB4503276 from our Windows Server 2012 R2 and now the server is again properly creating run-time content.

0 Kudos
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

We've also noticed this behavior in iOS, using the Xamarin.Forms Runtime. Our workaround is the same as it was on WPF (featureTable.UseAdvancedSymbology = false). Any suggestions as to why this was?

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

See my post further up the thread for a link to an example.  Whatever the Windows bug is, it is preventing ArcGIS Server from creating the unique value renderer symbology that is embedded in the .geodatabase file.  Sounds like using simple symbology negates the need for this.

0 Kudos
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

Ah, very good. Thanks for pointing that out.

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I turned windows update off in services but it did an update anyway. Now I can't publish my map because I'm afraid my symbology won't show correctly. I do updates to our map daily and need this fixed immediately. The simple basic solution is to roll back the app. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has field personnel that rely on the mobile app to do their job. Why hasn't a solution been provided yet?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

We worked over the weekend with Microsoft on this issue and found the root cause was the security patch, BUT we discovered a fix we can do on our end. 

The fix has been tested and the QFE team has begun the process of porting the fix back to the relevant versions.

We're also publishing a KB article with all known details on the issue and all of the known workarounds for those that need fixes right now.  

I'll update the thread with the KB article as soon as it is copy edited and posted, in the meantime here's the draft of the workarounds section:

Workarounds:

There are several workarounds that can be used until general patches are available.  Choose one of the following strategies:

1. Switch the character-marker based symbols to use simple markers instead, and republish the map.  Simple markers are not affected by this issue as they do not use the affected Windows GDI method to be published.
  2. Republish the map from ArcGIS Pro instead of publishing from ArcGIS Desktop.  This can be done by importing the MXD into Pro and sharing via a portal connection or to server directly.  ArcGIS Pro publishing uses a different code path that’s not dependent on the faulting GDI function.
  3. Roll back the security updates temporarily on either client or server machines:
    1. If publishing a map or feature service to ArcGIS Server directly or ArcGIS Enterprise:
      1. The machine on which ArcGIS Server is installed must be rolled back to before the June security patches for Microsoft Windows (KB4503286 or KB4503276) and opted out of updates until a resolution is available, and the affected services must be restarted.
    2. If publishing a hosted service to ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Online:
      1. The machine on which ArcGIS Desktop is installed must be rolled back to before the June security patches for Microsoft Windows (KB4503286 or KB4503276) and opted out of updates until a resolution is available, and then the affected services must be republished from the rolled-back machine. 
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Jeremy Wright wrote:

UPDATE:

We worked over the weekend with Microsoft on this issue and found the root cause was the security patch, BUT we discovered a fix we can do on our end. 

The fix has been tested and the QFE team has begun the process of porting the fix back to the relevant versions.

We're also publishing a KB article with all known details on the issue and all of the known workarounds for those that need fixes right now.  

I'll update the thread with the KB article as soon as it is copy edited and posted, in the meantime here's the draft of the workarounds section:

Workarounds:

There are several workarounds that can be used until general patches are available.  Choose one of the following strategies:

1. Switch the character-marker based symbols to use simple markers instead, and republish the map.  Simple markers are not affected by this issue as they do not use the affected Windows GDI method to be published.

Sorry, but I'm quite new to GIS, how is this step accomplished?

1. Republish the map from ArcGIS Pro instead of publishing from ArcGIS Desktop.  This can be done by importing the MXD into Pro and sharing via a portal connection or to server directly.  ArcGIS Pro publishing uses a different code path that’s not dependent on the faulting GDI function.

Publishing from ArcGIS Pro did not resolve the issue.

1. Roll back the security updates temporarily on either client or server machines:
    1. If publishing a map or feature service to ArcGIS Server directly or ArcGIS Enterprise:
      1. The machine on which ArcGIS Server is installed must be rolled back to before the June security patches for Microsoft Windows (KB4503286 or KB4503276) and opted out of updates until a resolution is available, and the affected services must be restarted.
    2. If publishing a hosted service to ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Online:
      1. The machine on which ArcGIS Desktop is installed must be rolled back to before the June security patches for Microsoft Windows (KB4503286 or KB4503276) and opted out of updates until a resolution is available, and then the affected services must be republished from the rolled-back machine. 

You might add that you will need to manually turn off windows update on windows 10 or else it will automatically update after you roll it back.

Thanks for the update. I have commented on my experiences above in italics. Only one solution has worked for me thus far. I'm not updating my pc and I'm waiting to set up a new pc until this issue is fixed.

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
ÉricGosselin
Esri Contributor

Win 7 are also affected with the KB4503292, right?

0 Kudos