FGDB Domain not in AGOL?

Jump to solution
01-25-2016 11:27 AM
ScottStupak
New Contributor II

Domains in FGDB not being showing in AGOL was reported as a bug.

Any news on this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

When a File Geodatabase is shared to ArcGIS Online via .zip file: Domains also remain in the geodatabase, but are not accessible from the hosted feature layer.  Documentation for this is here.

If you want access to the domains in the hosted feature service you will have to share your feature class(es) by using File > Share As > Service from ArcMap.  Steps are here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

Domains created in ArcGIS for Desktop usually do not have issues persisting when shared as a feature service to ArcGIS Online (at least in my experiences).  However, I have read some bugs with domains when your data uses subtypes.

Do you have the bug # that you are referring to?  Which method are you using to share your FGDB to ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
ScottStupak
New Contributor II

No subtypes.  Created the FGDB, feature class, imported table as domain, assigned domain to feature class through Arc Catalog 10.2.2.  The domain description shows up in the preview and Arc Map.  I zip up the geodatabase. In AGOL I import the zipfile as a fgdb.

0 Kudos
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

When a File Geodatabase is shared to ArcGIS Online via .zip file: Domains also remain in the geodatabase, but are not accessible from the hosted feature layer.  Documentation for this is here.

If you want access to the domains in the hosted feature service you will have to share your feature class(es) by using File > Share As > Service from ArcMap.  Steps are here.

0 Kudos
ScottStupak
New Contributor II

Ok, I see. But what about the table related to the feature class?  The related table also has domains.

0 Kudos
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

Domains applied to fields in a related table can be used in the same way as spatial feature services if shared the supported way mentioned above.  However, I do not believe you can edit the attributes of a standalone table in the ArcGIS Online web map viewer.  You'll need to use a template or Collector to add/update/delete records in a standalone/related table.

ScottStupak
New Contributor II

Interesting:  the code field and description shows up in the feature class but in the table only the code field column shows populated by the description.

I'd prefer to keep my fgdb intact and just publish the zip file.  A previous thread called this a bug and anticipated to be fixed Nov or Dec.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

I am not exactly sure what you mean about the look of the attribute table with code field/description.  However, regarding the integrity of your FGDB: if you publish your data using ArcMap so that you get access to your domains in Online, you can export your feature service to a file geodatabase item and download it.  See here.

0 Kudos