Forms function moved from visualisation tab to map viewer interface

10-22-2023 07:54 PM
Labels (1)
JessicaGough
New Contributor III

Hello, I have noticed that the Forms function, which previously could be accessed via the Visualisation tab in AGOL, has now moved to the Map Viewer interface itself. This means that if settings applied in a form (e.g. which fields are editable and which are not) are required in multiple maps, the work to set these up needs to be duplicated for each map in which the layer is used. This is rather more inconvenient than being able to apply the form settings at the layer level, and then if that layer is used in multiple maps, the settings are applied across all. Is there a work around that allows us to set form configurations at the layer level, so that we do not have to duplicate work across multiple maps where the layer is used?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gis_KIWI4
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @JessicaGough,

I believe this functionality to save the Form to a Layer was added some time back. You can use this within the Field Maps Designer. 

gis_KIWI4_0-1698175493403.png

Once open in Field Map Designer, use the dropdown next to the save button to save this to the layer.

gis_KIWI4_1-1698175552003.png

This should save the form as JSON within the Layer and then it can be used in multiple maps.

Completely agree, this should be an option on the Forms section within the MapViewer. Maybe submit this as an idea but hopefully this helps you in the meantime. 

0 Kudos
JessicaGough
New Contributor III

Thanks @gis_KIWI4 - does applying the settings in Field Maps Designer work for layers that need forms applied for Web Apps?

Just trying to understand your advice in relation to my workflow where we would require form configurations on layers used in maps for Field Maps as well as maps used in Web Apps....

0 Kudos
gis_KIWI4
Occasional Contributor II

@JessicaGough  I am unsure of webapp builder but it should work for ExB. 

Save the form to a layer -> The form is available in the map -> Same form will be available in ExB that uses the said map. 

Might be worth setting up a quick proof of concept to test it within WebApp builder.