how to convert points to a line in agol

Jump to solution
10-11-2017 08:37 AM
JanBenson1
Occasional Contributor

I added a csv file to our arcgis online organizational account.  I noticed there is the ability to perform some analysis.  Is there a way to convert points from a csv in a trackline to a line?  Obviously I can do this in ArcMap, but I was wondering if AGOL can do this too.  The points are in the ocean.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know ArcGIS Online, wont convert a set of sequential points to lines. If the content is static then process the data with desktop and publish to ArcGIS Online. In case the data is dynamic (real-time) ArcGIS Enterprise + GeoEvent Role will do the job (in real-time)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not listed in the ArcGIS Online Help document, but when you say trackline, this implies you got it from a gps, so most gps software worth its salt, should allow you to download it as a shapefile at least (google DNRGPS if you don't have gps software)

0 Kudos
JanBenson1
Occasional Contributor

Though it may come off of a GPS, I don't necessarily have the track.  Think of a survey vessel which stops for samples.  The longitude and latitude are recorded at the time of the sampling from the ship's GPS.  It is a bit different as you have to get to and from your location which you really don't care about.  The line format makes it easier for the map reader to understand the survey and from that derive the distance of the survey.  

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know ArcGIS Online, wont convert a set of sequential points to lines. If the content is static then process the data with desktop and publish to ArcGIS Online. In case the data is dynamic (real-time) ArcGIS Enterprise + GeoEvent Role will do the job (in real-time)