I don't have my own ArcGIS Server ? What can I do ?

07-23-2012 06:00 AM
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
Hi,

Before, I was trying to add a layer with more than 1000 features to ArcGIS online, but that was not possible, and the only one way to do that is by share data via ArcGIS 10.1 .

Now, I got ArcGIS 10.1 but from : file tab >>> share as>>> then I didn't now then next steps ?

Please, is there anyone can help me to publish my data and then add it to arcgis online?

And should I have my own ArcGIS Server ? WHICH I HAVE NOT!

ANY HELP PLEASE
Thank you?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
You need to get an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. The Getting Started help article touches on this. If you go to arcgis.com, you could sign up for a 30 day free trial for now. Once you have an organizational account, you can Sign In through the File Menu in ArcMap. Then, after you choose to publish a service, you can select My Hosted Services as the connection (your second screenshot). Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
You need to get an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. The Getting Started help article touches on this. If you go to arcgis.com, you could sign up for a 30 day free trial for now. Once you have an organizational account, you can Sign In through the File Menu in ArcMap. Then, after you choose to publish a service, you can select My Hosted Services as the connection (your second screenshot). Hope this helps!

ldanzinger,

Thank you very much for your help, but I would like to inform  you that I have already "an account"

And also, I have followed these steps:

BUT when I want to  select my Hosted Services as the connection, there is no "Hosted Services" option?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
What build number are you on? If you are on 10.1 final, you should be seeing your Hosted Services on that page. I remember that at pre-release, you needed to do an extra step- When you click the Sign In button, click Manage Connections in the bottom of the window. You then need to copy and paste the URL to your organizational account from arcgis.com. Save this, then sign in, then you should be able to use "My Hosted Services." This should be automatic at 10.1 final.
0 Kudos
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
What build number are you on? If you are on 10.1 final, you should be seeing your Hosted Services on that page. I remember that at pre-release, you needed to do an extra step- When you click the Sign In button, click Manage Connections in the bottom of the window. You then need to copy and paste the URL to your organizational account from arcgis.com. Save this, then sign in, then you should be able to use "My Hosted Services." This should be automatic at 10.1 final.

Hi,

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 trial one, But I think the problem is not because this.

I think the problem that I need to do some settings on Arccatalog  to find   "My Hosted Services."  ? or what do you think?  

SHALL I DO ANY SETTING HERE?

http://video.arcgis.com/watch/1344/publishing-a-map-service-to-arcgis-10.1-for-server

Thanks.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
I think you need to do the Manage Connections suggestion I had in the previous post. The "My Hosted Services" in ArcCatalog will become enabled once you Sign In successfully using the correct connections. Please go to arcgis.com and log into your organizational account. Then, copy the URL to your organizational account and paste it into the "Manage Connections" section on the Sign In window.
0 Kudos
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
I think you need to do the Manage Connections suggestion I had in the previous post. The "My Hosted Services" in ArcCatalog will become enabled once you Sign In successfully using the correct connections. Please go to arcgis.com and log into your organizational account. Then, copy the URL to your organizational account and paste it into the "Manage Connections" section on the Sign In window.

Thanks again ldanzinger,

I think the reason that I don't have a server, because all connections options are asking for server URL?

How can I get a GIS server?

Regards.

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
You shouldn't be making a GIS Server connection... The first step is to determine if you have a personal or organizational account. You will want an organizational account to publish services to the cloud.

Once you have ensured that you have an organizational account:

1. Click File > Sign In
2. Put in your username and password and click Manage Connections
3. In a browser, navigate and log into you arcgis.com organizational account
4. Copy the URL to your homepage
5. Paste this into the Manage Connections window
6. Close the remaining windows and Sign In
7. Then, My Hosted Services in ArcCatalog and in the Share As dialogue should appear

If this doesn't take care of it, it might be easiest to log a support request (888-377-4575).

Thanks!
0 Kudos
danielsmith1
New Contributor
You shouldn't be making a GIS Server connection... The first step is to determine if you have a personal or organizational account. You will want an organizational account to publish services to the cloud.

Once you have ensured that you have an organizational account:

1. Click File > Sign In
2. Put in your username and password and click Manage Connections
3. In a browser, navigate and log into you arcgis.com organizational account
4. Copy the URL to your homepage
5. Paste this into the Manage Connections window
6. Close the remaining windows and Sign In
7. Then, My Hosted Services in ArcCatalog and in the Share As dialogue should appear

If this doesn't take care of it, it might be easiest to log a support request (888-377-4575).

Thanks!

Great directions but what do you do if You have ArcMap 10 version. When you sign in there is no "manage connections" option. thanks
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Great directions but what do you do if You have ArcMap 10 version. When you sign in there is no "manage connections" option. thanks

Thanks Daniel, sharing map/feature services through ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Online is new at 10.1, so you will not have this ability at version 10.0.
0 Kudos