Is there anyway to get updated ( basemap) on ArcGIS online ?

07-28-2012 09:08 AM
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
Hi,

If we compare the imagery on the base maps  on Arcgis online with Google maps or google earth we will find the google maps are updated but not on arcgis online ?

Is there anyway to get updated ( basemap)/ imagery on ArcGIS online ?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
I believe this was brought up at the plenary session of the User Conference last week.  New imagery will be coming soon, much of it with better resolution.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
You do know both Google and Bing use different vendors and sources for imagery right? The argument that Google has better imagery over Bing or vice versa is pointless because both companies are always updating imagery. Google typically has more satellite/low resolution and Bing has more high resolution. The reason Google has "updated" imagery is because its satellite and Google typically doesn't care about resolution. Bing tries to get a quality product, not just the latest.
0 Kudos
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
I believe this was brought up at the plenary session of the User Conference last week.  New imagery will be coming soon, much of it with better resolution.

Jesterjace, thanks, good news. But do you know when ?
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
Ahmed,

ESRI is updating parts of the world as the imagery comes in.  If you go to the Blog link at the top of this page and search "High-resolution Imagery" you should see a lot of update postings.  I couldn't tell you their exact schedule, but I'd keep an eye on the Blog.
0 Kudos