Map Services on ArcGIS Online for Organizations

04-26-2012 12:54 PM
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
When publishing a map service to AGON, is it possible to identify and view pop ups in a web map?

Apologies if this question already been asked-- I feel like I've seen it alluded to often, but need a basic black-and-white clarification. I'm unable to configure pop-ups of my ArcGIS Online hosted map services, but can with map services hosted on our own ArcGIS server. Is there some issue (security, etc) that is preventing pop up creation in my ArcGIS online account, or is this just not possible with map services hosted on ArcGIS online?

Thanks,

Charlie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
NelsonDe_Miranda
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Charles,

You can definately configure popups for feature services. I.e. navigate to the table contents, click the arrow, and hit configure popup.
If your service is a tiled service you cannot create any popups.

Essentially to test this, create a new map add that feature service hosted on AGO and you should be able to configure a popup. We have just tested this workflow and it has worked fine.

Hope this helps,

Nelson
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
Hi Nelson,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I'm pretty sure I understand your answer, but I just want to make sure I'm asking the right question. As you said, I can definitely configure pop-ups for features services published to ArcGIS online-- that's pretty straightforward.

I can also configure pop-ups for map services hosted on my own ArcGIS server in a web map. The thing I can't seem to do is configure pop-ups for a map service that's hosted on ArcGIS online. That is currently not possible, correct?

Thanks!

Charlie
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Chris,

I am 100% sure you can configure popups with a service hosted on ArcGIS Online.
Do you have a link to the service that you're currently trying to configure popups for so I can take a look at it?

Cheers,
Nelson
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
Nelson,

Here's a link to a sample map. Thanks again for your help!

http://bit.ly/JM5xC1

Charlie
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Charles,

The problem is because your service is a tiled service:
lineandpoly:http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/pwNwIGBE7M7VOXjQ/arcgis/rest/services/lineandpoly/MapServer

If you wanted to configure popups it would have to be a feature service (i.e. do not generate map cache).
The url link will look like http://services.arcgis.com/...../mapserver

Cheers,

Nelson
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
Nelson,

Thanks for clearing that up. Given the ArcGIS online storage limits on feature services, we were hoping we could use tiled map services to publish and identify our data online. Apparently that's not an option when hosted within AGON. Thanks a lot for clarifying that, I appreciate it!

Charlie
0 Kudos
SriniVasan1
New Contributor
Hello,
I have read some of the threads and it looks like when you publish a tiled service you cannot configure pop-ups to display attributes when clicked on a feature on the map.  Am I understanding correctly?  To display pop-ups, one can upload a zipped file (limited to 1000 features).  Then it lets you configure pop-ups correctly.  I am facing the situation of 50k+ points that I need to display with pop-ups.  Has anyone found a solution yet?
Thanks for your help.
Srini
0 Kudos