Publishing a shapefile

Jump to solution
06-11-2018 04:20 AM
MáireDolan
New Contributor III

I am relatively new to the ArcGIS world. Am currently working with ArcPro & ArcMap.

My problem is this;

I need to publish a dataset created in ArcGIS Pro, as a downloadable service to the public in general, i.e. joe soap who does not have access to ArcGIS desktop or online will be able to download and use the shapefile in their chosen GIS application.

There is a lot of information in the help for ArcGIS but it mainly seems to serve for other ArcGIS to ArcGIS users? The key is I need the shapefile to be downloadable for all

Can I do this in ArcGIS online?

Any help would be appreciated..

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Maire,

You can add a shapefile to AGOL either as a file or as a published hosted feature service.  Both can be made to be downloaded if you allow export to other formats in the Settings tab of the Item Details page.  You will also have to share the item publicly so that users without an AGOL account can view and download those items.

Marisa 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarisaClaggett

Hi Maire,

You can add a shapefile to AGOL either as a file or as a published hosted feature service.  Both can be made to be downloaded if you allow export to other formats in the Settings tab of the Item Details page.  You will also have to share the item publicly so that users without an AGOL account can view and download those items.

Marisa 

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Marisa:

In the scenario that you provided, can you directly download the item from AGOL or do you need to add it as an item to your own AGOL account (so an AGOL account would be required)?

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14447 

0 Kudos
MarisaClaggett

Hi Michael,

In order to have the item/shapefile available for download, it must be added as an item to an AGOL account, whether that be a public or organizational account.  For others to download the shapefile item without an account, the item must be shared publicly.  When published as a hosted feature layer, the feature layer must have export to other formats turned on in the item's settings and the user of the data (wanting to download the data), can open the content in ArcGIS Desktop from the Item Details page.  Hope this helps!

Marisa