Recycle Bin Functionality Is Coming to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
09-25-2023 04:47 PM
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

Hey - I've just seen the notice about the Recycle Bin functionality coming to AGOL.  This is a great improvement Esri Team.  Nice work.

Can you tell me if this relates only to the deletion of items in AGOL (eg Feature Service, Views, Maps, Apps etc...) or does it extend to the deletion of individual records in a Feature Service?  Example - Someone accidentally deletes a record through Field Maps that they still wanted.  Can that be recovered through the Recycle Bin?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul - Recycle Bin will only handle items in ArcGIS Online. Row-level backup/restore is not supported. The anticipated workflow would be:

• An item supported by Recycle Bin is deleted from ArcGIS Online
  • Whoops! Didn't mean to delete that thing
  • Item is recovered from Recycle Bin within 14 days

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul - Recycle Bin will only handle items in ArcGIS Online. Row-level backup/restore is not supported. The anticipated workflow would be:

• An item supported by Recycle Bin is deleted from ArcGIS Online
  • Whoops! Didn't mean to delete that thing
  • Item is recovered from Recycle Bin within 14 days
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

Thanks @ScottBall.  I suspected that would be the case.  Do you think there would be any possibility for the functionality I have discussed being added at some stage?  Most of the users I have delt with in our organisation are more likely to delete "row-level" data rather than a whole service.

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Paul. It's something we've heard that users want, along with backup and restore capabilities. We don't have plans to add any of those things in the near term, but we continue to monitor feedback and evaluate what's technically feasible.

Arlington_CoGISMC
New Contributor III

Has this been implemented as stated?  Says February 2024, but not finding it. 

GregHeintz1
New Contributor III

The email message below was sent to all users of ArcGIS Online.

On September 25, 2023, you received an email titled, “Recycle Bin Functionality Is Coming to ArcGIS Online.” The email detailed that after the update on October 25, 2023, between 5:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. (PT), ArcGIS Online will include a recycle bin feature. This email is to notify you that the recycle bin will not be a part of the October 2023 update of ArcGIS Online and is now planned for the February 2024 update.

The February ArcGIS Online update did not include the Recycle Bin functionality.  When is the Recycle Bin functionality going to be available in ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
LondonWalker
New Contributor III

I was told June at the dev summit

0 Kudos
GregHeintz1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response, London.  

0 Kudos