Why Aren't There Many ArcGIS Notebook Videos That Are To The Point?

01-30-2024 01:37 PM
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm searching for simple video tutorials on the basics of ArcGIS Notebooks, especially on how to update web maps by replacing an old hosted feature layer with a new one.

My exploration of various YouTube tutorials has revealed that ArcGIS Notebooks can automate tasks typically performed in ArcGIS Pro, like scripting in place of the manual append tool. However, I find most tutorials delve too deeply into unnecessary details about the over view of Arcgis notebooks rather than presenting straightforward solutions to specific problems. I'm looking for practical, concise videos that present a problem and then demonstrate how to solve it using ArcGIS Notebooks. 

Something straight forward like a set of videos that outline the top 5 uses of arcgis notebooks users should know would be amazing! 

I'm currently dealing with a particular problem: updating joined hosted feature layers. Adding new fields to my source layers doesn't work because it alters the schema of the joined hosted feature layer. I think the solution might involve creating a new joined layer and then using an ArcGIS Notebook to point my maps to this updated layer, while keeping all the existing map settings like pop-ups and labels. I'm trying to find a solution through videos on common notebook uses, aiming to learn how to direct my maps to a new data source. However, finding straightforward videos that simply instruct the map to use the new layer for data instead of the old one has been challenging.

Does anyone know of resources that provide direct, video tutorials? I'm particularly interested in a guide that helps with my feature layer updating dilemma.

0 Replies