Any way to Create Layer from Selected Features?

Jump to solution
10-29-2016 08:01 PM
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

I loved that ol' ArcMap right-click a layer with a selection and "Create Layer from Selected Features" and I used it all the time.  There does not seem to be a true equivalent in Pro.  Your options seem to be: 1) Export the data, which creates another feature class. Usually I just want a temporary layer, not another piece of garbage cluttering up my geodatabase.  2) Use Make Layer Feature, but this only works for attribute queries.  You can't take a selection generated with interactive selection or Select by Location and save it as a new layer. (I tried running MFL on a layer with a selection, without specifying a query, and it ignored the selection and output the whole layer again, e.g. it did NOT honor the selected set).  3) Use a definition query (also only works for attribute queries).

Anybody found an alternative to export? The ArcMap option was SO elegant!

Tags (3)
13 Replies
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

I can’t find a way to delete a label class or keep it from displaying as a label with the other label class. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks!

Juliette Wood

Jim Wells County Appraisal District

Mapping/Researcher

361-668-9656 ext. 14

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

To keep a label class from displaying as a label with another label class, if I understand correctly, you would select the Label Class that you don't want to display, and then uncheck the option 'Label Features In This Class.'

So in this example, I have Class 1 and Class 2.  If I don't want to display labels for Class 2, select that and uncheck 'Label Features In This Class.'

0 Kudos
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply! I’ll try this. Have a great day.

Juliette Wood

Jim Wells County Appraisal District

Mapping/Researcher

361-668-9656 ext. 14

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This was implemented in 2.1 (https://community.esri.com/ideas/10615 )