ArcGIS Pro Crashes when labeling

Jump to solution
08-17-2016 01:12 PM
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to produce a map with some fairly complex labels. The labels are built to look like this when ArcGIS pro doesn't crash:

This is built from 3 different fields using a python expression:

"<BOL><UND>{}</UND></BOL>; - {}; - {}".format( [NAME] ,  [PROJECT_LOCATION_] , [PROJECT_DESCRIPTION] )

I have set the label to have stacking:

As you can see from the screenshots, Pro does run and label correctly, but as soon as I try to pan the map a few times, or put the map into a layout, I get a crash. Sometimes the crash reporter pops up and sometimes it does not and instead Windows asks if I would like to restart the program.

I'm running Pro 1.3.0 on Windows 7 x64 with a fairly beefy machine and graphics card, so I don't think its the system.

• i5-4690
  • AMD Firepro W2100

Is Pro not stable enough for this type of labeling yet? Has anyone had any similar issues?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roemhildtg

A bug has been filed with support.

#BUG-000098716   Using stacked labels with large amounts of text and adjusting the maximum number of lines causes ArcGIS Pro to crash.

Update: I was just informed that this bug will be resolved in ArcGIS Pro 1.4 Release.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

send this to tech support with a sample of data, perhaps this is a new issue.

(for others... the issues addressed list for version upto and including 1.3 can be found here Release Notes for ArcGIS Pro 1.3—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  )

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Gregg,

I agree with Dan. I found some new bugs in ArcGIS Pro. Esri tech support has logged them and will work on them for the next release. This may be another good one to bring up to them. Be sure to have a way to send them your data as well. This made it easier for them to test my issues.

It might also help to move this thread to the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=d536bfb2-8e85-4d...‌ space as well.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good point Adrian... Greg I moved it to the Pro space for better visibility

0 Kudos
roemhildtg

Good call guys. I submitted an issue on the support desk. I'll update this when I hear back.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And as Robert says, you need to report your video specs as well

Set display options—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Gregg - here's another troubleshooting idea - change the Rendering Engine from DirectX to OpenGL under Options->Application->Display if your current setting is DirectX.  Does Pro still crash?  Great idea to submit to Support as well - they're actively reviewing all Pro related items for 1.4.

roemhildtg

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried changing the setting to OpenGL, but it had the same result though. As far as I know the settings are all default although I could try changing some of them to see if it has an effect. They are currently:

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Another option for Pro crashes is to update your video card driver directly from the Manufacturer.  Windows Update won't provide the latest and greatest.  Go to your Device Manager, Display Adapters, and right down the make/model of your card.  Then go to their website, search for the driver and install that one.  We've seen some reduction in crashes when the video card driver is updated. 

0 Kudos
roemhildtg

A bug has been filed with support.

#BUG-000098716   Using stacked labels with large amounts of text and adjusting the maximum number of lines causes ArcGIS Pro to crash.

Update: I was just informed that this bug will be resolved in ArcGIS Pro 1.4 Release.