Best free remote desktop program for using ArcGIS Pro at home?

03-10-2024 06:45 AM
Labels (1)
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

What is the best free remote desktop program out there for running ArcGIS Pro on a home set up? 

I'm planning to upgrade a desktop computer with the specs to handle ArcGIS Pro then remote access that computer with my laptop. 

I am giving TeamViewer a try but wonder if you've found a better free remote desktop solution for a home set up?

Thank you!

11 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

I just use Windows Remote Desktop for this.  Full disclosure, though: I'm typically only remoting in from another desktop on-site.

I did do a short stint of work-from-home during the latter months of the pandemic, but we were still running Desktop 10.7 at the time, and I didn't do any real heavy processing.

Based on what I did see, though, I would expect it was likely decent enough speed.  My desktop at work was doing the heavy lifting, either way.

BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Same. I've always used built-in Windows Remote Desktop and I've had no complaints. I think there's some better options if you are constantly switching between many RD sessions at once, but for a single session it's perfectly fine. Is there some feature in particular you find lacking?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

For our Esri Training Instructor-Led online classes, we use Remote Desktop primarily to access student ReadyTech VM's.  Works well!

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing @Robert_LeClair . I am so excited to see how easy it is to remote desktop using ArcGIS Pro. This means I can keep my laptop which is a Microsoft Surface Book 2 and instead upgrade the specs on a new desktop, instead of getting a clunky ugly gaming laptop to lug around. 

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply @BlakeTerhune .

I have to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro to use the Microsoft Remote Desktop that your using and for $100 one-time fee I wonder if it's worth it? Otherwise, TeamViewer is working decent enough and it's free.  The only things is I have to leave my computer at home on with the TeamViewer App open to connect remotely to it.  

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for the reply (and full disclosure.) I'm currently trying out TeamViewer, but I wonder if it's worth upgrading to Windows 11 Pro to be able to use the Microsoft Remote Desktop your using.

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

I have had good results with Citrix Workspace. Virtual Machine did not work out well, but a physical computer remoted into through Citrix Workspace did the trick.

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply @BrandonA_CDPH 

What didn't work about the Virtual Machine option you put together? It def seems more complicated than a remote desktop to a physical machine. 

Why did you choose Citrix Workspace over another remote desktop option? The ratings are bad on the Microsoft App store. 

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

Honestly, I was/am workign within the confines of what my work IT department offers, so my choices are made for me.

The Virtual Machine was fine for basic mapping and a little ArcGIS Pro work, but for analysis or more complicated symbology (i.e. the real reason for using Pro), it kept crashing and hanging. It came around to a lack of a dedicated graphics card, so they moved me off the Virtual Machine and to a tower set up with Citrix Workspace.

0 Kudos