Can't Sort Table on "Date_Only" Field Type?

Jump to solution
03-21-2024 03:12 PM
VinceE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Anyone have any idea why you can sort a table based on a DATE field, but not a DATE ONLY field?

I have both field types in the example feature class below, but when it comes to the Sort tool, only the DATE field is an option. Simple oversight by Esri, or am I missing something?

VinceE_1-1711059029900.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @VinceE , @DanPatterson 

It's just a matter of prioritization. It will take many releases to update all tools that take an input field to support new field types and objects. This has not happened automatically for all geoprocessing tools in the first release of the new fields (3.2).

Can you please post an enhancement idea for Sort to support the new temporal field type(s) in the Pro Ideas page, so that we can gauge user demand and prioritize accordingly?

Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the table no problem

datetime2.png

But with the Sort tool, it wouldn't even show the field name, so I entered it manually and got this error message

datetime3.png

The operative word may be Date... and DateOnly isn't Date

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
VinceE
by

Well at least the problem is repeatable. Thanks for testing.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @VinceE , @DanPatterson 

It's just a matter of prioritization. It will take many releases to update all tools that take an input field to support new field types and objects. This has not happened automatically for all geoprocessing tools in the first release of the new fields (3.2).

Can you please post an enhancement idea for Sort to support the new temporal field type(s) in the Pro Ideas page, so that we can gauge user demand and prioritize accordingly?

Thanks,
Drew

VinceE
by

Appreciate the information Drew, thank you.

0 Kudos
VinceE
by

Hey @DrewFlater, a follow up to this. I just tried to use arcpy's AddField with a "BIGINTEGER" data type, and ran into a similar issue as above:

ERROR 000800: The value is not a member of TEXT | FLOAT | DOUBLE | SHORT | LONG | DATE | BLOB | RASTER | GUID.
Failed to execute (AddField).

I'm not going to open a Pro Idea because... this issue of new data types clearly hasn't been addressed in a lot of places, so the "idea" would extremely general. I'll leave the prioritization decisions to you all. Thanks again for the initial reply.