Customizing a Dynamic Text element with Arcade

Jump to solution
08-25-2023 07:59 AM
Labels (1)
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a Map Series Layout going with a dynamic text element based on an attribute.  It shows like this:

BrianBulla_0-1692975416736.png

And here is the code for it:  

City of Pickering (<dyn type="page" property="attribute" field="SETTLEMENT"/>)

Is it possible to customize this further using an IF statement?  I want different formatting to happen depending on what the value of SETTLEMENT might be.  Is there an Expression Builder for a text element??  I can't seem to find anywhere to customize.  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

I think they got to the Expression Builder using the Dynamic Text element for a Table Attribute Value. When you select that element to insert, an Insert Table Attribute pane opens, with a button to access the Expression Builder under Appearance>Field.

LindaWilliams1_0-1692986716913.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BrianBulla

Hi....hmmmm....that seems very complex.  This is all in ArcGIS Pro....it's not a web app, or an online map of any sort.  I just want to be able to have that text element update based on the related page of the Map Series.

For example, on page 1 the text is "City of Pickering (Pickering)", and on page 13 the text is "City of Picking (Pickering/Ajax Border)".

What I want is for whenever the SETTLEMENTAREA = "Pickering", then it doesn't insert anything, and it just stays at "City of Pickering".

I guess I could just update the attribute in the feature, but there must be a way to do this direct within the layout.

I've seen this post where they are using Arcade to update a text element, but I have no clue how they are accessing the Expression Builder in order to do this.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/help-with-automating-a-text-box-using-arcade/m-p/...

0 Kudos
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

I think they got to the Expression Builder using the Dynamic Text element for a Table Attribute Value. When you select that element to insert, an Insert Table Attribute pane opens, with a button to access the Expression Builder under Appearance>Field.

LindaWilliams1_0-1692986716913.png

BrianBulla

Excellent....thanks!  That's what I was looking for.

0 Kudos