Disappering layout

3 weeks ago
mlee
by
New Contributor

I have a huge problem and wanted to know if I'm the only one on earth or if it's a general bug.

PROBLEM:
At irregular intervals (sometimes 1 time a month, sometimes 3 times a day) the entire content of a layout disappears.

The process is always similar:
I am in the layout view editing the content (moving/copying/adjusting graphic elements) and all of a sudden a misbehaviour occurs. Most common I can no longer select individual elements in the layout view under "contents". For example, the object is displayed, but I cannot change the visibility.
Another example is that I change the text in a text fiel and both the old and the new text are displayed after completion. In the map view, I can select one text object and continue working, but the other remains displayed.

Just this wouldn't be that bad. But:
When I save the project and reopen it, all map content is deleted. The layout with all settings such as "Page Setup" still exists, but all content (graphic elements, map frames, etc.) is permanently lost.

I discussed this intensively with the ESRI support about one a year ago. After a malfunction I previously copied that aprx, before reopening it in ArcGIS. This file could be opened with IZARC. All contents of the entire project were displayed correctly. We then opened the file in ArcGIS Pro and saw an empty layout. Next, we saved it and reopenend in IZARC.... And the whole layout was now empty as well.
This means that the support team was able to face the error, but no solution was found at the time. Neither what causes the issue, nor how to fix the file.
The rest of the document (maps, layouts, whatever ...) is unaffected.

Until then, I worked in a virtual environment on a Mac (which is not ideal). In the meantime, I work 100% on a Windows computer, without a virtual machine.
After a quiet start-up phase, the frequency has increased in the recent month. Hence my cry for help!
Have you ever encountered that problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies