Graphic Text in the Layout View in ArcMap imported into ArcGIS Pro Layout does not show up in the right place ? How do I fix that ?

Jump to solution
05-19-2023 06:52 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I need your help to find a solution about  graphic texts  that was done in ArcMap in the Layout View. . You won't find it in the Data View. It has Graphics Text that was typing in and drew in a "callout".  So when you have that in the layout from ArcMap and you use the Import to ArcGIS Pro. The layout is in 36 x 36 paper size.

Before I imported ArcMap layout to my Pro, I already had the Layout set up in 36 x 48 and I have all the layers I need.  So, when I import the  Data View and  Layout View  to current project in  ArcGIS Pro.  

I was able to copy and paste layers from the imported  ArcMap in  Pro and paste them into the current Map View.  The only Problem is that it doesn't have the Graphics from the Data View , but it is in  the Layout View from ArcMap

If I copy and paste the graphics from the Layout to another Layout in the Pro, it will not overlay correct.

Is there a way around to get this solution to fix it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Problem Solved !!!!

Original : I have the map that was zipped into ArcMap Package to me.

The print paper size is in 36 x 36 .

PROBERT68_0-1685135878617.png

My task was to import this to Pro and I had the map in 36 x 48 that I worked on the first time.  The first map I did was to create a map for a Fire Personnel on my forest.  He like the first map and then request me to have a second map with the picture above .

When you import to Pro, I disocvered that the graphics was not carry over to Pro in the Map Frame.  You can see it in the 

Here are the example of two different views  : Left is the Data View  vs the Right is the Layout View

Data_View_No_Callous_ArcMap.png  Layout_View_ArcMap.png

Open ArcMap and then turn off all the layers, grids, pictures, etc  in the Layout View and move everything out of the Focus Area in your Layout View too.  In the Layout View, make sure you turn off the white background and set it to transparent. ( So you can look it through from the top).  Export the layout view to PDF. Make sure your PDF set to georerferenced !!

Example : 

PROBERT68_2-1685137191177.png

Do you see that I  have a few callouts that I need them to include in my map in ArcGIS Pro....

1. Go back to your ArcMap in the Layout and open ArcToolbox from the Geoprocssing menu or ArcToolbox button.2. Find the PDF To TIFF in the Conversion Tools. 

2. In the PDF To TIFF conversion , make sure you set your environment to the output coordinates and Processing Extent to the same projection as in the Layout View!!

Example : 

PROBERT68_3-1685137518059.png

3. Export to TIFF.

4.  Add the TIFF to your Layout View to check for overlay correct .   

5. You can re-create the graphics in either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.

6. You can do them in either create an Annotion geodtabase or graphics and copy them to Data View in ArcMap before you import to Pro.

I decided to use Annotation Geodatabase to re-create them from the picture I exported to and add it to the Layout .

Final work  in Pro :

PROBERT68_4-1685138571829.png

If you need any question, clarify, not clear, etc,  Please let me know..

I do hope that  ESRI is aware of it and hopefully they can fix it for the next version , tools, script to correct it. !!

I'd like to hear from others if there is a way around compare to mine. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

switching from 36x36 to 36x48 might account for it, I don't suppose you tried creating one the same size as the original to see if the copied graphics were proper

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. yes I tried that but doesn't work. You would have a hard time to resize it.  The person who requested a previous map and wanted me to add another one to add on the same paper size in 36 x 48.

Over the weekend, I spend some time thinking about  it and  google it... I found that  some that may be helpful to me and I am still working on it..

I will write once when I am done...

Thanks !

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Problem Solved !!!!

Original : I have the map that was zipped into ArcMap Package to me.

The print paper size is in 36 x 36 .

PROBERT68_0-1685135878617.png

My task was to import this to Pro and I had the map in 36 x 48 that I worked on the first time.  The first map I did was to create a map for a Fire Personnel on my forest.  He like the first map and then request me to have a second map with the picture above .

When you import to Pro, I disocvered that the graphics was not carry over to Pro in the Map Frame.  You can see it in the 

Here are the example of two different views  : Left is the Data View  vs the Right is the Layout View

Data_View_No_Callous_ArcMap.png  Layout_View_ArcMap.png

Open ArcMap and then turn off all the layers, grids, pictures, etc  in the Layout View and move everything out of the Focus Area in your Layout View too.  In the Layout View, make sure you turn off the white background and set it to transparent. ( So you can look it through from the top).  Export the layout view to PDF. Make sure your PDF set to georerferenced !!

Example : 

PROBERT68_2-1685137191177.png

Do you see that I  have a few callouts that I need them to include in my map in ArcGIS Pro....

1. Go back to your ArcMap in the Layout and open ArcToolbox from the Geoprocssing menu or ArcToolbox button.2. Find the PDF To TIFF in the Conversion Tools. 

2. In the PDF To TIFF conversion , make sure you set your environment to the output coordinates and Processing Extent to the same projection as in the Layout View!!

Example : 

PROBERT68_3-1685137518059.png

3. Export to TIFF.

4.  Add the TIFF to your Layout View to check for overlay correct .   

5. You can re-create the graphics in either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.

6. You can do them in either create an Annotion geodtabase or graphics and copy them to Data View in ArcMap before you import to Pro.

I decided to use Annotation Geodatabase to re-create them from the picture I exported to and add it to the Layout .

Final work  in Pro :

PROBERT68_4-1685138571829.png

If you need any question, clarify, not clear, etc,  Please let me know..

I do hope that  ESRI is aware of it and hopefully they can fix it for the next version , tools, script to correct it. !!

I'd like to hear from others if there is a way around compare to mine. Thanks

0 Kudos