Quitting Desktop Cold Turkey

05-23-2017 09:59 AM
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

I've been a Desktop user for about 14 years. I have seen a lot of reasons that users are saying avoid ArcGIS Pro. Just thought I'd share my experience since I've quit ArcGIS for Desktop. I had played with Pro after going to the SE UC a few years back but didn't commit. I decided to change because my attribute updates to services hosted on ArcGIS Online decided not to save when editing in ArcMap. Tech support couldn't duplicate the issue on their end and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. On a whim I wanted to see if the same issue would happen in Pro. When I moved everything into a Pro project the edits to my online services worked as they should. Just as a point of info I don't develop or write scripts so I can't speak to how that works.

The biggest hurdle in migrating to pro is relearning where everything is. The interface has changed a lot, but thanks to google its pretty easy to find what you are looking for. Editing is a bit clunkier in my opinion than it is in Desktop. One suggestion I have would be to bring the snapping options back to the right click menu. Another issue is that so far there is still no fix for creating hyperlinks in the identify window. I brought this up about two years ago and  as far as I can see, it seems like it still hasn't been addressed. The last negative I have is that labeling is a bit slower but its really a minor inconvenience.

Pro does make it much easier to work with those items that are hosted on portal and ArcGIS Online. My organization has made a heavy commitment to Online and it has definitely made my maintenance for the hosted services much more convenient. The ability to create multiple layouts in a single project is also a big plus. I've seen some worry about the lack of ArcCatalog. You use the Project Pane in Pro. It works essentially the same as the catalog window in an mxd but with some added functionality. So it's pretty much ArcCatalog its just not available as a standalone program.

ESRI can deny it all they want, but the bottom line is this is going to replace Desktop. Maybe not this year, but eventually it will. Overall I'd say I'm happy with the switch. Once I become more familiar with the interface I don't expect it will feel much different than Desktop did. I'd recommend that users start becoming familiar with this program.

Tags (1)
27 Replies
PamelaBond
New Contributor III

I took a one day workshop going through the basics of ArcGIS Pro.  It was really helpful for getting to know the new interface.  I have not fully committed to using ArcGIS Pro but I try and use it at least every once in a while.  The transition to ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Desktop reminds me of when Microsoft Office products switched from a dropdown menu bar to the ribbon-based menu bar - the tools are all there, I just need to figure out where.  A couple of my biggest complaints so far are 1)I am still finding Pro to be a bit buggy - weird behavior that is inconsistent and requires restart 2)Even though I upgraded my computer to meet (and exceed) most all of the specs, I can still pretty consistently crash Pro 3)No ArcCatalog -  how am I supposed to have persistent database and GIS connections?  I have a whole slew (20+) GIS servers that I am connected to.

Also hearing lots of rumors about getting rid of concurrent use licenses.  It would not work well for my agency if we have to move to single use licenses.  We have a couple hundred users but only a few power users.  The concurrent licenses system works brilliantly for us.  Speaking of concurrent - it would be really nice if ArcGIS Online would allow concurrent licenses, or at least the ability to "deactive" a user without deleting there account so that someone else could use it for a while.  We have folks interested in using the Collector and Survey123 apps but would only need them for a month of two.  Monthly (instead of annual) subscriptions would also work.

JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

We got around the user issue by making a generic department user. That way you have one for occasional or short term use.

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

Generic or shared named user accounts are a practical response, but against the license terms. (I think that's wrong, but that's what it is)

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

Jason, I just wanted to add that I think it's great you're having a good experience with Pro and that it's working for you and what you do. I didn't mean to crash the party. We have threads for a reason. 😉

0 Kudos
CarmenGonsalves
New Contributor II

Has anyone came across separating two stacked points in Pro?  I know in 10.5 I could just switch which selected point I was working with.  Hasn't seemed that easy in Pro.  I definitely agree the biggest hurdle has been relearning where everything is and how to access it.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Check to see if you have Map Topology turned on in the Edit tab > Manage Edits group.

0 Kudos
CarmenGonsalves
New Contributor II

Yes it is enabled.  I haven't changed that setting.  Unfortunately I still haven't figured it out, it'd be easier to just separate a few stacked points than create new ones.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Try turning it off.  When enabled, it will try to move all the stacked points at the same time I believe.