Using Arcade in ArcGIS Pro to Adjust Symbology Based on Another Layer's Field Values

a week ago
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm working with two layers in ArcGIS Pro: "FIRE_DATA" and "MASTER_MSHA_DATASET," both sourced from ArcGIS Online. I want to adjust the symbology of the 'MASTER_MSHA_DATASET' layer so that it excludes points that have matching 'MSHA_MINE_ID' field values in the 'FIRE_DATA' layer.

Can Arcade code accomplish this within the symbology expression pane? If not, could using SQL expressions in the "Definition Query" panel be a viable alternative? I'm unsure as Arcade was suggested, but I need clarification.

If anyone could provide a rough example of what the Arcade or SQL code should look like, that would be greatly appreciated and go a long way for me! 🙂 

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, what you're describing isn't possible with Arcade or SQL, working directly with AGOL layers. In Arcade, the symbology profile cannot access other features, let alone other layers. Definition queries only work against a single layer's attributes.

Getting attributes based on a spatial relationship with another layer isn't going to be possible directly in the symbology, but you could use a field calculation and add a new column to your points for "underlying id".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos