Warning 110067: Your spatial reference not compatible with CF Conventions

Jump to solution
01-31-2024 02:11 PM
JillClogston
New Contributor III

Background: I have data of whale sightings which include many different fields, but I will be using dates, lat/lon, ID of the group of whales present, number of whales present, and five different polygons in which these sightings occur. I need to analyze how the sightings have changed over time, e.g., are we seeing certain groups of whales more than others? Are there groups closely associated with other groups? Are there certain times of year a group is more likely to be seen? Is there an area a group is more likely to frequent?

It was suggested to me to use a Space Time Cube analysis. I trialed creating the STC by aggregating points and I am receiving the following warning:

STC Error.png

I would only consider myself a novice with ArcGIS Pro and definitely not familiar with CF conventions, which I did look at but it's Greek to me. 

Can anyone offer advice on what I should be doing? 

AND, if there would be a better way to analyze my data, I am absolutely open to suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Jill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JillClogston,

The message from the tool is an informational warning rather than an error.  It does not mean that your analysis is invalid or that there is a problem with your data.

CF Conventions are a set of standards for how to store and label data in a netCDF (NC) file.  NC files are generic data containers and do not have to abide by these standards; however, some non-Esri software will only work correctly with CF-compliant netCDF files.  If you intend to perform your analysis entirely within ArcGIS, this is not a problem, and you can ignore the warning.

While I do not know which projection you are using, the warning indicates that it is not one that is part of the CF Conventions.  You can likely resolve the warning (which, again, may not be required at all) by projecting your original points to a more common coordinate system.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jill!  I too am not savvy in the STC either but looking at the internals - I only see one case.   I would email the Spatial Statistics Team at Esri - spatialstatistics@esri.com - to see if they recognize this error message and know how to resolve it.

JillClogston
New Contributor III

Thank you Robert, will do!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I know it doesn't "exactly" answer your question but if you feel my response is a "solution" you may mark it so to close this thread.  Thx and good luck!

0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JillClogston,

The message from the tool is an informational warning rather than an error.  It does not mean that your analysis is invalid or that there is a problem with your data.

CF Conventions are a set of standards for how to store and label data in a netCDF (NC) file.  NC files are generic data containers and do not have to abide by these standards; however, some non-Esri software will only work correctly with CF-compliant netCDF files.  If you intend to perform your analysis entirely within ArcGIS, this is not a problem, and you can ignore the warning.

While I do not know which projection you are using, the warning indicates that it is not one that is part of the CF Conventions.  You can likely resolve the warning (which, again, may not be required at all) by projecting your original points to a more common coordinate system.

JillClogston
New Contributor III

Thank you Eric!

0 Kudos