Working with a PostgreSQL (PostGIS) database in ArcGIS Pro (non-enterprise!)

Jump to solution
12-12-2023 02:38 AM
LizanneRoxburgh
New Contributor II

Can anyone assist with working with PostgreSQL tables or views in ArcGIS Pro? I can link to the database and see a full list of tables and views in Arc Pro, but I cannot load any of these into my map. Exporting any of the data in Arc Pro to a feature in a geodatabase works perfectly, but we're creating maps for more than 300 species from data that is being constantly updated on the database, so this is not an ideal solution. The error message when attempting to add a view to a map is "Attribute column not found".

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DornMooreICF
New Contributor II

Ensure that your field names are all lowercase and don't have any special characters. If need be, create a View with your data and change the field names of any fields with mixed case names and/or special characters like spaces. This should solve the error you are seeing. 

For example, in the Select portion of the view change the field name with 

SELECT 
"EditDate" AS edit_date, ....

Ideally, you'll just be using lowercase field names all the time in your postgresql tables to avoid this issue, but I understand legacy databases are fun.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DornMooreICF
New Contributor II

Ensure that your field names are all lowercase and don't have any special characters. If need be, create a View with your data and change the field names of any fields with mixed case names and/or special characters like spaces. This should solve the error you are seeing. 

For example, in the Select portion of the view change the field name with 

SELECT 
"EditDate" AS edit_date, ....

Ideally, you'll just be using lowercase field names all the time in your postgresql tables to avoid this issue, but I understand legacy databases are fun.

LizanneRoxburgh
New Contributor II

Thank you Dorn. This solved the problem!

0 Kudos