Remove Small Lines - Odd Results

Jump to solution
03-16-2023 04:25 AM
Arnaud_IGN
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Regarding the Remove Small Lines tool, I get odd results. I've tried multiple parameters (angles of 20, 45, 90,...), with arcpy, with arcgis pro, various data editing (reverse lines, remove unnecessary vertices,...). The only thing that makes it work as intended is by removing the smallest lines.

It might be user error, I might be missing something crucial. It seemed pretty straightforward tough.

Here are the results in green, purples are the original lines (labels are length):

RSM_01.PNG

 Minimum length is 150 Meters, maximum angle of 90 and 45 gives the same result. Everything snapped and split at intersection,...

RSM_02.PNG

 Any idea?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi @Arnaud_IGN 

The ArcGIS Production Mapping and ArcGIS Defense Mapping Development Team has addressed your issue for ArcGIS Pro 3.2. ArcGIS Pro 3.2 will be released later this year.

Regards,

Dan 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Remove Small Lines (Topographic Production)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

the last statement

While the length of the individual features may be shorter than the minimum length, the overall visual length of the small line and connecting line features will be greater than the minimum length.

what happens to those examples if you change the threshold to 200?

... sort of retired...
Arnaud_IGN
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan.

The results are (again) weirdly the same (now in blue):

RSM_03.PNG

 The only lines that are kept add up for less than 100m, so I can't figure out what's happening here. This has to be something I'm missing as the results are so far from what's expected.

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Arnaud,

Thank you for your post. I am working with the development team to review your issue.

Can you please reply to the following:

1. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

2. Can you please share a screenshot of the result you are expecting?

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Arnaud_IGN
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2, and this is the result I expected with a 150 meters threshold (green : input data, purple : results, yellow : expected) :

RSM_05.PNG

We've had better results by running the tool first with a 25 meters threshold (for example), then using Dissolve and Feature to line and finally a Remove Small Lines with a 150 meters threshold. But still, one small line was kept although it didn't meet the criteria (the one at 28.05m).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Arnaud,

Thank you for answering the questions.

I also expect the same result.

I can reproduce the issue using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 Final and 3.2 test build.

I have logged an issue in our team's internal bug tracking system.

Please let me know if you require more information.

Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention.

Regards,

Dan

DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi @Arnaud_IGN 

The ArcGIS Production Mapping and ArcGIS Defense Mapping Development Team has addressed your issue for ArcGIS Pro 3.2. ArcGIS Pro 3.2 will be released later this year.

Regards,

Dan 

Arnaud_IGN
New Contributor II

Great news, thank you Dan 🙂

0 Kudos