How to set time zone in Event Editor?

12-12-2022 06:00 PM
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Editor tracking records date and time in UTC. We would like to show the Editor Tracking fields in the local time instead of UTC in Event Editor. Currently, if a user edits an event after 4 PM, it shows the next day since it is midnight according to UTC. How do I configure Event Editor so UTC time is shown in the local time?

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Masao

There are two ways to set your service to local time rather than UTC. You can either update the specific map services Date Field Settings in the service parameters or you can set the ArcGIS Server date defaults in the ArcGIS Server Administrator if you have the privilege. Although the document is a little dated these patterns are outlined in the following technical resource document here. I tested configuring pacific Time (US & Canada) with values adjusted for DST using ArcGIS Enterprise 11 and can confirm these parameter settings are still applicable.

-amit@esri 
Esri Transportation LRS Team

0 Kudos
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Amit,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have followed the document you linked. The document tells me to set the Time Zone to Pacific Time. That resulted in all the dates shown as the next days. I followed the latest help document instead and set the Time Zone to UTC and Preferred Time Zone to Pacific. That resulted in showing everything in UTC although I set the Preferred Time Zone to Pacific. The attached screenshot from Event Editor is showing a few features that were edited on 12/12. One of the edits were done at 4:04 PM PST (12:04 UTC).

• EE_TZ-UTC_Prefer-PT.png (Time Zone: UTC, Preferred: Pacific): One is showing as 12/13.
  • EE_TZ-PT_Prefer-None.png (Time Zone: Pacific, Preferred: None): All are showing as 12/13.
Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hi Masao - There were some Enterprise LRS issues related to Event Editor and UTC dates that were not apparent in ArcGIS Pro based editing workflows (which is what I tested in the previous response). The product team is looking into those issues now and I'll have a follow up for you soon.

-amit@esri

MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the fix!

Do you still recommend to store all the dates in UTC inside Roads and Highways (FromDate, ToDate, Editor Tracking fields, etc)? 

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MasaoMatsuoka Is your deployed implementation using all services based editing and Branch Versioning? Branch Versioning requires editor tracking enabled using UTC time standard.

Register a dataset as branch versioned

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it is branch versioned. So, you are saying we must store all dates in UTC. We are doing that currently. The Event Editor is displaying dates that are not correct, so that is the issue right now.

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Correct - versioned workflows require UTC for publishing but you can change the local time through the server. ArcGIS Pro-based editing works fine but there does seem to be an issue with an Event Editor that the product team is investigating,

-amit@esri

0 Kudos