Generate Runtime Packages using ArcObjects

11-30-2011 06:12 AM
Labels (1)
AndrewPurkis
New Contributor III
Is it possible to generate/share .mpk, .tpk, .gpk .apk, etc. packages that will be used by a Runtime application from an ArcObjects Engine application?

Basically I need a user friendly means of generating the packages for a non-GIS, non-technical user.

Andrew Purkis
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Yes, in Beta 2 there are GP tool equivalents for some of the packaging/sharing dialogs which are otherwise accessed from the File menu and it's relatively straightforward to call GP tools from an ArcGIS Engine application. In the ArcToolbox window (ArcMap/ArcCatalog) take a look at the Data Management toolbox > Package toolset. At Beta 2 I believe this toolset includes GP tools for creating Map Packages (.MPK) and Address Locator Packages (.APK). GP tools for working with the other package types are planned to follow. Geoprocessing packages have a more involved workflow because they can only be created from valid GP results (currently from the Geoprocessing results window within ArcMap) in order that the full tool execution is verified.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
BrooksShannon
New Contributor

Yes, in Beta 2 ...

Mike,

Do you know what the timeline for release on Beta 2 is?  I've been monitoring the things going on with Beta 1, but haven't had the opportunity - until now - to start playing with it.  I don't seem to be able to download Beta 1 anymore, and it appears I need to wait until Beta 2 is out to get started.

Thanks!
Brooks
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

Beta 2 should be quite soon, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewPurkis
New Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, that is good news!  Can you give me a 'very rough idea' of when the other GP tools (routing is the one I'm really interested in, at the moment) will be available.

Thanks

Andrew Purkis
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

Point to point routing, service areas, closest facility, etc are already available within Beta 1 - you'll need to use the Advanced license string for anything beyond the point to point routing (multistop). the workflow for all these tools is to create a Geoprocessing package. We'll publish a list of all the GP tools available when Beta 2 ships.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewPurkis
New Contributor III
OK, I've had success generating map packages by building a model, and it works well.  What I'm now having a hard time with is generating tile packages.

Using server tools->Caching I can generate a Tiling Scheme, no problem.  But if I try to Create/Export into a tile package, it always has an input service as required input, which I don't have.

If I use File->Share As->Tile Package then I have the option of either a Tiling Scheme or a Map service.

So is it possible to do this as a model?

Andrew Purkis
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
OK, I've had success generating map packages by building a model, and it works well.  What I'm now having a hard time with is generating tile packages.

Using server tools->Caching I can generate a Tiling Scheme, no problem.  But if I try to Create/Export into a tile package, it always has an input service as required input, which I don't have.

If I use File->Share As->Tile Package then I have the option of either a Tiling Scheme or a Map service.

So is it possible to do this as a model?

Andrew Purkis

Hi,

There are plans for a specific GP tool to create Tile Packages - but I believe it didn't make it into Beta 2 of ArcGIS for Desktop. That means, for the time being, you'll need to use the GUI from the "File > Share As..." menu.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos