ACS data in custom fusion report

04-11-2013 02:50 PM
PaulBreding
New Contributor III
So I think I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to verify:

I am creating a custom report in the fusion editor and I really, really need to include an educational attainment variable in my report because that particular piece of information is important to one of our clients. But it looks like educational attainment information is only part of the ACS data set, which is only available in BAO. Unfortunately, it seems as though there is no way to add data from ACS / BAO into a custom report in BA Desktop. Is that correct?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
So I think I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to verify:

I am creating a custom report in the fusion editor and I really, really need to include an educational attainment variable in my report because that particular piece of information is important to one of our clients. But it looks like educational attainment information is only part of the ACS data set, which is only available in BAO. Unfortunately, it seems as though there is no way to add data from ACS / BAO into a custom report in BA Desktop. Is that correct?

Paul,

Currently ACS data for Business Analyst Desktop user is only available via Online Data option in Append Data (Spatial Overlay) or selecting Online Report (an option on the Online tab in Preferences).  For the foreseeable future there is no plan to have ACS data part of the locally installed Business Analyst dataset.  I do not want to completely close that door however as plans can change.  The reason why is due to the complexities and challenges with the ACS data itself.

I have created an enhancement in our system that will help track the demand of users wanting to have the ACS dataset locally (NIM090622 Add the American Community Survey (ACS) dataset to the local dataset for Business Analyst Desktop.).

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
PaulVastag
New Contributor III
In my experience, there is substantial demand by users who want the ACS data available locally in BA Desktop  My organization and customers also rely very heavily on educational attainment data, and not having it available in BA desktop is a very significant problem with our upgrade to version 10.1 and the 2012/17 data.  Educational attainment is a critical component of several custom reports and map layers that my customers have come to rely on.  I am still searching for a "workaround" solution to this issue that is reasonably efficient - I would love to hear what other BA desktop users are doing in regards to edu. attainment data.

I know of three other BA desktop users that feel the same way.

I am glad to see that several variables were restored to the 2012 data that were not available in the 2011 data.  Hopefully educational attainment will be added in the future.
0 Kudos
RichardCippoletti
New Contributor
I have been dealing with this since were testing the update to 10.1.  We have several standard reports that we generate all the time...Several time a week.  Much of the data in those reports are missing since they area based in ACS.  For this reason we cannot upgrade which is very disappointing.  I as very surprised that it is not included and would like a better understanding about the decision to exclude the data.  In a prior life, I experienced this when upgrading NAVTEQ.  They changed their database structure and the upgrade broke.  It took some time to remap all data fields and some were missing.  Not fun.  I wonder if Pitney Bowes Anysite includes ACS data in their package.  It is something worth looking into if the amount of data included continues to decline.  I wonder how much ESRI understands what their clients use the data for and how much we rely upon it.  I hope they don't develop in a vacum
0 Kudos
AlexSmith2
New Contributor
We used the educational attainment in many of our maps and presentations.  Since "upgrading" to BA 2012, I no longer have the option.  I miss the old school data.  Seriously, educational attainment is less important than net worth broken down into 3 month age intervals (exaggeration but you get the point).

Reports are one thing, but I need it on the map.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
When the Esri 2013/2018 data update is released later this year education attainment will be available at all geographies so will be available in reports/fusion reports.

I believe everyone would have preferred for the Census Bureau to have used the census long form (SF3) for the 2010 census.  My memory is hazy but I believe it was an effort to save money.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos