Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster calculator failed when using setnull function

Jump to solution
06-12-2015 06:03 PM
Zheng_KiYip
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I'm using the expression below to try convert all the values that are negative or equal to zero to NoData

SetNull("cov_fdg_ct" <= 0,"cov_fdg_ct")

But it failed to execute with the error message below:

Executing: RasterCalculator SetNull("cov_fdg_ct" <= 0,"cov_fdg_ct") "E:\GIS Data\Thesis modeling\FloodDepthGrids\cov_fdg_c"
Start Time: Fri Jun 12 17:49:33 2015
SetNull("cov_fdg_ct" <= 0,"cov_fdg_ct")
ERROR 000539: Error running expression: rcexec()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<expression>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 5, in rcexec
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 320, in SetNull
    where_clause)
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Utils.py", line 47, in swapper
    result = wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 309, in Wrapper
    ["SetNull", in_conditional_raster, in_false_raster_or_constant])
RuntimeError: ERROR 000732: Input Raster: Dataset cov_fdg_ct does not exist or is not supported

Failed to execute (RasterCalculator).
Failed at Fri Jun 12 17:49:34 2015 (Elapsed Time: 0.16 seconds)

I've been reading many posts from those who also got the ERROR 000539 and most of them seem to be due to a syntax error. However, I can't seem to figure out what syntax error is in my simple expression. It would be much appreciated if you can provide some advice!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
SetNull("x","x","VALUE>5")

I would highly recommend getting students away from the SQL parameter and use this instead in Raster Calculator

SetNull("x" > 5, "x")

or in Python

gt5ras = SetNull(Raster("x") > 5, "x")

or in Python (better)

testras = Raster("x")
gt5ras = SetNull(testras > 5, testras)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes...it is the latter two that I lean towards...specifically, I like them to do it manually once, then emulate the return syntax from the Results window.  They can then copy and paste and retain the syntax, in a text file, for future work.  It save them having to look it up or whipping quotes around things randomly in the hopes that errors go away

Zheng_KiYip
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for all your advice and responses! Sorry for the delayed reply - I haven't had access to this GIS machine again until today.

To my surprise, I used the same syntax as I did last week and it got executed successfully as below. Any suggestions to what may have changed?

RasterCalc_01.PNG

Darren and Dan - Last week before I posted this message, I have also tried the syntax you have suggested (i.e. including the where clause) but I got the same error. However, when I tried again today, it worked also as shown below.

RasterCalc_03.PNG

RasterCalc_05.PNG

What I have found interesting was that when I took out the space between the = and 0, it no longer works

RasterCalc_04.PNG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​You should include spaces between fields, variable names, operators and values as a matter of course to remove/reduce the change that they may become concatenated.

On another note, you are tempting fate by working with rasters data particularly Esri grids, in a folder path that contains spaces...you may and continue to be 'luck' but when you aren't ... remember these words

Good luck

Zheng_KiYip
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan! I'll change my directories to have no space to be safe - can't rely on luck!

0 Kudos