Suitability Modeler - Error Message, "The extent used, either from the environment or from the layer is invalid..."

Jump to solution
01-19-2022 07:13 AM
MarkGroom
New Contributor III

Hi all, I am running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1, and am attempting to use the Suitability Modeler to find suitable industrial development area. All my desired inputs are vector, in which I rasterized, either through Feature to Raster or Distance Accumulation (essentially Euclidean Distance) geoprocessing. I don't use raster data too much, so I heed any input or advice!

When I start loading in my Criteria Inputs into Suitability Modeler, I am able to successfully input (and transform) my Parcel, Zoning Data, and Brownfield data (which I feature-to-rasterized), but when I attempt to add in my other datasets (Fiber lines, Road network, Rail network, and Point-of-interest (in which I Euclidean Distance'd) -- I get hit with an error message, "The extent used, either  from the environment or from the layer, is invalid for the output that will be created." And I can't proceed with these datasets.

I am trying to figure out why these rasters are not working with my Suitability Analysis. I am thinking that something must be going amiss when running my Euclidean Distance GP tool; or the two raster styles may not like working with each other? Or perhaps something else.

Does my data have to be the cell size across the board? Or same raster style (e.g. all classified, Unique, Stretch, etc). I ran an extract by mask to make sure by data falls entirely within County lines, and I still receive this error message.

I welcome any feedback, input, or advice. Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkGroom
New Contributor III

Huge facepalm. I didn't define an Output Coordinate system when rasterizing said datasets. I re-ran Feature to Raster and Distance Accumulation with an Extent defined, and I was able to fully incorporate all desired datasets into the Suitability modeler.

Thanks for your quick response.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Coordinate systems should all be the same for all inputs and preferably in a projected coordinate system (conformal or equal area type like utm state plane etc)

raster extents, cell size, snap raster all must/should be the same

How do your inputs conform to the above?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Your data don't need to have the same cell size or extent. The final output will be resampled to the largest cell size of your input criteria. The extent relies on what area is common to all criteria.

The first criterion that causes the error to be thrown, does it have the same coordinate system as the criteria already transformed?

0 Kudos
MarkGroom
New Contributor III

Huge facepalm. I didn't define an Output Coordinate system when rasterizing said datasets. I re-ran Feature to Raster and Distance Accumulation with an Extent defined, and I was able to fully incorporate all desired datasets into the Suitability modeler.

Thanks for your quick response.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

the output coordinate system, if not defined, usually comes from the input.

Glad to help and happy modelling.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

... and we do have an issue where this error is thrown when projected and geographic coordinate system are used in the same Suitability model.

Therefore please make sure that all your data are in a projected coordinate system.

0 Kudos