Zonal Statistics With Overlapping Polygons

Jump to solution
06-14-2012 11:50 AM
LornaMurison
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I realize this issue has been talked about before, but I can't seem to find a simple solution.  I have found a toolbox posted on these forums that will iteratively run zonal statistics as table on one polygon at a time, but this was for ArcGIS 10, while I am still using 9.3.1.
I can't seem to find anything at all on the ArcGIS Online Gallery.
Anyone know if a tool exists for 9.3.1 to run zonal statistics as table iteratively on overlapping polygons?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Curtis posted a link in the Zonal Statistics as Table Overlapping Polygons Solution Required post.

We recently published a toolbox (first prize at the ESRI UC 2011 AppFair!) that includes tools that do overlap processing for statistics and area tabulations, among other things.

USGS Open-File Report 2010???1268
National Water-Quality Assessment (NAWQA) Area-Characterization Toolbox
By Curtis V. Price, Naomi Nakagaki, and Kerie J. Hitt

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1268/

The published version has only limited support for 10.x, but I have an updated version that will be posted there soon. If you are interested, let me know and I can send it your way.

USGS Website  says it should work for 9.3.x.

These tools are designed to be accessed using ArcGIS Desktop software (versions 9.3 and 9.3.1)

You may want to try it out and see if it does what you are looking for.

Patrick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Curtis posted a link in the Zonal Statistics as Table Overlapping Polygons Solution Required post.

We recently published a toolbox (first prize at the ESRI UC 2011 AppFair!) that includes tools that do overlap processing for statistics and area tabulations, among other things.

USGS Open-File Report 2010???1268
National Water-Quality Assessment (NAWQA) Area-Characterization Toolbox
By Curtis V. Price, Naomi Nakagaki, and Kerie J. Hitt

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1268/

The published version has only limited support for 10.x, but I have an updated version that will be posted there soon. If you are interested, let me know and I can send it your way.

USGS Website  says it should work for 9.3.x.

These tools are designed to be accessed using ArcGIS Desktop software (versions 9.3 and 9.3.1)

You may want to try it out and see if it does what you are looking for.

Patrick
0 Kudos
ChristineWiedinmyer
New Contributor
Will this work with ArcGIS 10?
0 Kudos
manisharai
New Contributor
Hi everyone.

I was running a check to see if the NAWQA area characterisation tool and the zonal statistics tool give the same result for a non overlapping buffer feature. So, I used some test cases with the same buffer feature and raster as my inputs. However I got different results from both. eg. For a particular location, when I used a 1500 m buffer and a raster of cell size 27.8431 m, the zonal statistics gave me a count of 9121 whereas the NACT gave me a NCELL of 9112. That's not a huge difference, however I was expecting to see the exact same numbers considering my inputs and environmental settings were identical.Does anyone has any idea of why this is the case.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
0 Kudos