Looking for best practices for Tracker in AGOL.

09-22-2020 01:22 PM
JessicaSchneider
New Contributor III

Jeff Shaner

Hello,

Looking for best practices for ArcGIS Tracker in AGOL that will update to a web map for the last known location. 

Currently we can not get the last known location to display in a timely manner.  We are looking to show something as close to live as possible. 

I am testing this by having a coworker watch a web map while I ride around my neighborhood on my bike holding my phone.  the Tracker bread crumbs eventually updates when I get back but the last known location does not.  My neighbors are starting to wonder why I keep taking 3 minute bike rides with 5 minute breaks in the house.   Any tips would be great. 

THANKS!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jessica,

The last known location should be updating every 60/30s depending on the setting in the app. Is your map configured with a refresh interval, if so what is that interval?

Are you using iOS or Android?

0 Kudos
JessicaSchneider
New Contributor III

Aaron,

Thanks for your response.  

We have the refresh interval on the tracker layers set at .1 minutes in the web map.  We are using both iOS and Android products to test. 

The only time it seems to work is when we refresh the page manually.  

Also can tracker be shared with the public? The project we are working on is a Santa Tracker so we want this to be viewable to the public so they can see where Santa is along a float route through our local municipality.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmm, that should be working then. Are you using the Map Viewer Beta or the existing Map Viewer app? If you are seeing the refreshing on a hard-reload that leads me to believe is some issue with the map or the viewer app.

The Tracks layers cannot be shared publicly out of the box, however you could copy the feature layer layer url and add that as a new item with embedded credentials and then share that item publicly.

JessicaSchneider
New Contributor III

I am using the existing Map viewer, I can try beta, and see if that is any different.  Thanks again.  

0 Kudos
JessicaSchneider
New Contributor III

Struck out on this plan.  According to Tech Support we would need to constantly refresh the web page to see where the last known location is.  We would like to see that update live.  

Not sure what direction to head next to feed a live location.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That doesn't make sense. The map viewer should be refreshing it automatically if you have a refresh interval defined. Can you try putting the same map into a ArcGIS Dashboard?

This is a very common use-case and definitely should be working.

If you'd like to dig into this more you can email me directly at apulver@esri.com

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jessica,

We have identified a caching issue in AGOL hosted feature services that is related to the behavior you are seeing. We are working on a fix and should deploy it within the next couple days. A potential workaround is to add a relative date filter to your LKL layer like "is within the last 2 days".

0 Kudos
MarkSimpson2
New Contributor

Aaron, Are you saying it is possible to use this method to share track data publicly?  Can I get help with this?  It is exactly the way we'd like to use the AGOL webmap time filters to show vehicle locations with time bucket parameters...2hrs, 4hrs, 8hr, etc. It works great for AGOL authenticated users, but I cannot share the track Feature to the Public.  It is public data.  Perhaps it needs to be Tracker via Portal/Enterprise? Thanks! 

Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

@Anonymous User I am also interested to know if there is a way to share live tracks with the public. 

0 Kudos