Can my planning department see metrics if they don't intend to update the Zoning, Land-use, space-use in Urban?

Jump to solution
08-14-2023 09:07 AM
SenadHodzic1
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

Currently my Planning department is looking into using ArcGIS Urban to visualize/include Current, Proposed, and Under Construction developments with 3D Buildings. They would also like metrics viewable in some form of a pop up menu (or side bar like Urban). Our organization has Current 3D Buildings and I intend to coordinate with said planning department to receive CAD files or 3D files and use FME to extrude/create/update our 3D Buildings dataset. Ideally, there will be an attribute in there that distinguishes them between their status. 

This is where I am running into a bit of a dilemma. I have learned a lot more and no longer have Trial access to Urban so I am in need of assistance from users.

My planning department is not intending to use the "create buildings" option in Urban, nor are they interested in using the planning/zoning feature. They're primarily focused on the visualization + metric tracking. From my understanding, you can only use the metrics and custom metrics if you have space use types allowed correct?

These are the Metrics they are interested in which are all tracked in an excel document currently:
• Development (general footprint, height, storeys, density (FSI)),
• Population (number of residents, density),
• Housing (number of units and unit type, if possible),
• Affordable housing units,
• Servicing allocation, and,
• Employment (anticipated jobs).

Currently, I am just unsure how Urban would work because if I have a backend process update our 3D buildings, they will not be interactable with Urban correct? I could only colour code them based on that STATUS field (current, proposed, under construction) as a context layer. Or would I use them as an indicator which then would allow me to use the metrics? 

I am just casting a lot of doubt on if Urban is the right tool for our planning department and I am hoping someone else can help me grasp it a bit better/faced a similar concern.

Kind Regards,
Senad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonKarian2
New Contributor II

Hi Senad,

When you're uploading a 3D model into ArcGIS Urban, you wont' be able to get information about the building (sq. footage, total development units based off the massing, etc.). This is because the models are loaded in as a "context" layer - additional data to help out with the visualization of your model. These usually are 3D models, layers like floodzones, and even geolocated siteplans. 

Because it's not connected, you won't be able to generate those metrics. If you do have the numbers for your metrics (i.e. this 3D model given to us by the developer has 85 units in it), you can still configure the metrics on the back end to show said metrics, and in the projects section you can manually put the numbers in!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JasonKarian2
New Contributor II

Hi Senad,

When you're uploading a 3D model into ArcGIS Urban, you wont' be able to get information about the building (sq. footage, total development units based off the massing, etc.). This is because the models are loaded in as a "context" layer - additional data to help out with the visualization of your model. These usually are 3D models, layers like floodzones, and even geolocated siteplans. 

Because it's not connected, you won't be able to generate those metrics. If you do have the numbers for your metrics (i.e. this 3D model given to us by the developer has 85 units in it), you can still configure the metrics on the back end to show said metrics, and in the projects section you can manually put the numbers in!

SenadHodzic1
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply Jason,

I see, so essentially the Projects would be preferred tool to showcase those metrics. I haven't explored that option if I am honest. Does creating or using Custom Metrics require any pre-requisites? or can I just create a field, name it what I want, and input those numbers manually? If so, that should be good enough.

Another thought if you have experience, I haven't worked with 3D in AGOL/Portal, but could you publish a 3D Web Scene that includes said buildings and have them selectable as well as provide pop-up menu's? I am thinking in some level of using the Explore tool in ArcGIS Pro. Something that showcases attributes (what i envision will be the metrics).

Thank you,

0 Kudos
JasonKarian2
New Contributor II

Hey Senad!

For the metrics, we usually recommend using them with the Plans section, because the metrics themselves will be generated based off of the space uses you use. However, the projects can again use the metrics if you have those numbers already!

For the metrics, I took a screenshot of the metrics graph, and from there you can add metrics either at the top, or add them directly from an existing metric (i.e. I can create a metric called "Affordable housing", that is acting off of my "Households" metric).

JasonKarian2_0-1692633007545.png

For the Web Scene question, you can yes! I would recommend if you want to use the pop ups options is to load them in as Indicators, where you can enable pop ups!

SenadHodzic1
New Contributor III

Hello Jason,

Could I get a bit more clarification regarding your first paragraph? I had thought I understood, but to apply Metrics to a Project area, i would need those values already?

Currently the workflow I have is:

1. Creating 3D Buildings and uploading them to AGOL for Urban to use as a background.
  2. Creating project areas around the developments occurring in my city (54 as of now).
  3. Hoping the metrics will be show cased properly for each development. 

My Planning department does not need the Plan section, but i wonder if I created a large Plan area for the entire organization if I could get an overall value for the metrics. I just am not exactly understanding how the Metrics section is being applied.

0 Kudos
SilviaCasas
Esri Contributor

Hi @SenadHodzic1,

What @JasonKarian2 explained is that you can have metrics setup at the Urban model level, that are then carried into the project's dashboard. Yes, you will need to know the actual metrics and enter them for each project.

Since we are doing a lot of work for Projects, I'm going to move your question into an idea and see what we can do in the future to support your needs. I've also heard from other users the need to have information about current buildings, and/or summarized metrics at the model level.

Thanks,

Silvia Casas

0 Kudos
SenadHodzic1
New Contributor III

Hi Silvia,

Thank you for answering. We currently purchased it and as I've played around with it and researched some more I've come to realize that. To give you an idea, my planning department does not want to use or create the buildings within ArcGIS Urban and we in GIS department don't have the resources to dedicate to creating the buildings. Additionally, we dont have any of the zoning, space use, land use types set up so we can't utilize most of the function. This is why i've created 3D buildings from our developers and created a Web Scene as a Background/scenario for each "Project" (which is actually each development application). That way we still see 3d buildings and manually input the metrics which i do by assigning a constant factor of 
"times 1" and the unit measurement if applicable. see the image i've shared. It isn't exactly ideal, but it gets the job done.

SenadHodzic1_0-1704913937325.png

0 Kudos