Identify Widget by rscheitlin - configuration question

10-21-2013 07:12 AM
AlexRodriguez
New Contributor III
I've downloaded the widget.  I'm trying to figure out how it needs to be configured.  I find bits and pieces of config info but an not sure I am interpreting everything as it is meant.

Sorry, noob to the FLEX world.  I would like to find some documentation that tells me specifically what files need to be edited to configure the Widget (any widget for that matter).  The documentation I find is vague for one as ignorant as myself.  Edit this file, copy that file, put a copy in this folder, etc.  I don't know where the files or folders are to begin with.

I tried doing this: Online Help
I never go the "Widget Settings" window.  So every time I open up the App Builder I get a non-existent list of layers and fields.

Copy the compiled version?  the uncompiled version? 

Little help please?

alex
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Alex,

Most of those instructions (editing the IdentifyWidget.xml, copying to this folder, etc) are for those that are using the uncompiled or the compiled widget and not someone like you that is using app builder.

When using app builder all you have to do is follow the direction in the link you provided but with the Identify widget you will not get a widget settings window with XML in it you will get an actual GUI for the widget just like esris widgets (This is assuming that you have added the correct IdentifyWidget.zip.

For Adding this widget to App Builder
- In Application Builder, click the Settings link to open the Settings page. Make certain that the advanced settings are displayed.
- Click Manage Custom Widgets.
- In the Manage Custom Widgets dialog box, browse to the ZIP file containing the packaged widget (in the For_AppBuilder3.x folder).

0 Kudos
AlexRodriguez
New Contributor III
Then I must have copied the wrong version of the widget or something.  I get the widget in my web page.  I try to set the fields and such in the GUI but nothing gets changed or saved.  When I open the GUI there is already a list of non-existent fields and layers populating it.

When I open up the page I try using the widget.  I get "No Records Found" and I don't get a list of the layers I want anyway.

It's just not working at all for me.

Don't bother with a response full on instructions.  I will do some more reading and will get it figured out.

thanks for the help.

alex
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Alex,

The IdentifyWidget.xml is full of example layer configurations that will hav warnings next to them if you do not actually have those layer in your map. There is a button to remove all those layers in the GUI. When you add an operational layer to your map using app builder you type a URL and click the browse button and select the whole map service or an individual layer. In the IdentifyWidget GUI you type that same URL (Flex is a CaSe sensitive language, so the ExAcT same url) and then choose which fields or click the button for adding all the fields. Maybe this partial explanation will get you started.
0 Kudos
JeffMihalik
New Contributor
Robert,

I have the query widget set to open when my map service opens (a subset of parcels for my area of interest) and it displays a list of parcel owners in asc order..so that works great..The user can scroll the list, find a parcel owner of interest, then zoom to that parcel...

I was wondering where I can find the line of code that controls the open event, as I want the widget and list to open (as it now does) but not select all the corresponding parcels when it opens.. is this possible? I'm assuming its somewhere in the querywidget.mxml but I do not want to hack around in there without some quidance. Thanks for any help.

oops... sorry just noticed that i posted on the Identify widget....

Jeff
0 Kudos