Identify Widget version 2.4.0.1 for FlexViewer 2.4 - Issue with Hyperlink

09-26-2011 08:54 AM
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

First off, this is an awesome widget.  However, I am having an issue with the widegt with regards to hyperlinks.  I see from the documentation that I can define via <linkfield></linkfield> a feature class attirbute that contains a URL and should be able to access that URL by clicking.  My issue is two fold. 

1.  The attribute I am defining is titled, fittingly enough, HYPERLINK and contains a UNC path to a pdf document containing additional information on the particular feature.  The HYPERLINK attribute is often returned as NULL in the Identify Results window even though there should be a URL there.

2.  When I do use <linkfield></linkfield>, then the HYPERLINK attribute is not even listed in the Results window.  For Issue #1 above, I did not define the <linkfield></linkfield>.

I am running a Flex Viewer 2.4 webservice off an ArcGIS 10 SDE database.

Can you think of what I might be doing incorrectly or have I identified a previously unidentified bug (and if so, do I get a prize? )?

You help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Hanna
Middlesex Water Company
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Michael,

A quick Google of "UNC paths and the web" will give you a clue as most results returned deal with errors or bugs or the such.

So you can setup a virtual directory to a specific server and folder  that will allow you to access the data in those folders just the way you  would the UNC.

So for example //Server1/Folder1/Folder2/image2.jpg
would look like
http://webserver/Folder1/Folder2/image2.jpg
The above is web friendly.
0 Kudos
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

Okay, that makes some sense and I figured I might have to change the pathing to adjust to the upgrade to Flex that we just underwent.  But that doesn't explain why I am getting NULL values or not seeing the field at all.  Any additional suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Michael,

That part I have no idea about. Is the service publicly accessible?
0 Kudos
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

No, only internally at the company and through VPN for field crews.

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Michael,

This is going to be really hard to help you with... I guess I would tell you to try and use the Search widget with the same layer and see if the same features that are returning null values in the identify are doing the same in the search widget.
0 Kudos
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

The problem seems to be more systemic than I originally thought.  While trying to tweak other widgets (as well as yours), I noticed that none of the attributes that have a domain associated with them return a value in the Results screen.

I don't believe the HYPERLINK issue I am having is directly associated with that, but there must be something I have not configured correctly. 

I apologize for the questions, but I have only been working with Flex Viewer for a little over two weeks and my ignorance is probably showing.

Thanks,
Michael

PS As for the public availibility of the service, the only option would be to conduct a Webex for you to be able to even see the service, etc. but that would be imposing on your time.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Michael,

Do you have your SDE and ArcGIS Server using the Service Pack 2?
0 Kudos
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

Don't know, but I will check in the morning. 

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
MichaelHanna
New Contributor
Robert -

According to my IT guy, yes, we are running SP2.  Do you have any specific debugging thoughts I could try?

Thanks for all you help!

Michael
0 Kudos