Creating a form

Jump to solution
08-31-2012 01:17 PM
TimCarr
New Contributor
I could really use some help on this. I have been using Arcpad to collect data for electric poles on our Trimble unit. I use the get data for arcpad on the ArcPad Data Manager and it creates my .apm file. All of the original data resides on our SDE server. This all works fine and have no problems at all.

The problem has now started that I have some retired linemen that are going to go out and collect the attribute data for the points and they can not read the drop downs that are on the standard form. I have even put arcpad on a laptop and that is too small. What I would like to do is create a larger form with the same info.

I have gotten into arcpad studio and created a new form, and then added a combo box. The problem is that when I go to the properties of the box it is looking for a .dbf file that contains the domains, well all domains are in the Geodatabase that is on the SDE box so I dont have a DBF to point to.

I am very new to this, if someone could give me some direction of what to read for creating combo boxes for linking to SDE data that would be great (and remember I am not a programmer..haha).

Thanks
Tim Carr
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Tim,

To make your forms bigger, open up your AXF in ArcPad Studio, double-click on the layer and then double-click on 'FORMS'. Open up your Edit Form and select Form Properties from the Form Menu. See the attached screenshots to see the dropdown to choose the size of your forms.

To make the individual controls bigger, you can select the inputs and change the width and height of the control in the Control Properties Menu. See the attached screenshot to help you increase the font for the controls using the same menu.

Super-size your forms then use ArcPad on a laptop to make the most of your bigger screen!

I hope this helps - let me know if you have anymore questions,

Hannah

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HannahFerrier
Hey Tim,

To make your forms bigger, open up your AXF in ArcPad Studio, double-click on the layer and then double-click on 'FORMS'. Open up your Edit Form and select Form Properties from the Form Menu. See the attached screenshots to see the dropdown to choose the size of your forms.

To make the individual controls bigger, you can select the inputs and change the width and height of the control in the Control Properties Menu. See the attached screenshot to help you increase the font for the controls using the same menu.

Super-size your forms then use ArcPad on a laptop to make the most of your bigger screen!

I hope this helps - let me know if you have anymore questions,

Hannah
0 Kudos
MikeRadko
New Contributor III

When I change the font on a control nothing updates on my screen in ArcPad Studio.  I can only see changes when I open the form in ArcPad.  Is there a way to see font changes to my form while I develop it in Studio?  Also, what is the default font type and size so I can change it back?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
HannahFerrier

Sorry Mike,

That is a limitation of ArcPad Studio - is is close to, but not a true WYSIWYG editing environment. You can see the placement of your controls on the form, but not so much fonts & colors.

To change your controls back to the original font type and size - use the 'clear' button

clear font.PNG

Hannah

TimCarr
New Contributor
Hannah,

Thank you very much for your reply... this is exactly what I needed and I was able to make the form just the way I wanted with your instructions.

Thank you again
Tim Carr