Win Mobile 7 run Arcpad 10?

04-10-2011 12:26 PM
EugeneDashiell
New Contributor III
Will Arcpad 10 run on win Mobile 7, especially an Omnia 7?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
GarethWalters
Occasional Contributor III
Hi dashiell,

Currently there is no support for ArcPad on Windows Phone 7. At this stage no professional hardware manufacturer (such as Trimble, Juniper, Magellan...) is developing on this platform or Android or Apple IOS.

It is not to say it won't. The natural progression is to Windows Embedded 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx and continuation of Desktop support.

If you want, put it up as a thought on the IDEAS Portal. This is where customers get to vote on suggestions for improvement and ESRI take these ideas into consideration through development.
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaList?c=09a300000004xET&category=ArcPad
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Hello,

I wanted to bump this thread up to the top to find out what the latest is? There is nothing on the ArcPad blog about the future of Arcpad.

I know mobile 7 is a very different beast and that Arcpad seems to be tied to hardware development (Trimble etc..) so I was wondering what ESRI were envisaging for ArcPad? I don't follow mobile development too closely but modern mobile OS seem to be all about gestures and fluffy looking "apps" ,a scenario I can't see working if one is trying to capture detailed geometries.

So if ArcPad is tied to hardware and big companies like Trimble or Magellan are not moving towards such OS then does this mean ArcPad is "stuck" at mobile 6.5 and we should NOT be running out to buy the latest hardware?

Duncan
0 Kudos
DavidRobinson4
New Contributor II
This is of interest to me as well since Embarcadero has released Firemonkey and it will work on Windows Mobile 7 -- but not the earlier releases. This would allow us to add on functionality to ArcPad. (Assuming we can sort out the other issues... 🙂 )
0 Kudos
WillLentz
New Contributor II
Panasnic is developing a 10" ruggedized tablet with Android. I think that is our best bet at getting some modern hardware on a mobile device. ESRI just released ArcGIS for Android a month ago, it will be nice to see if it all comes together for next field season.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
I spotted the Android App on the ESRI news feed and tried to download it. I have an HTC wildfire phone which is running the minimum OS that the application requires but it refused to install. I contacted the email address on their homepage and they have not bothered to reply, not brilliant customer support...

I will look out for this Panasonic device, sounds good.
0 Kudos
anasmalkawi
New Contributor
I have ArcGIS for Android and I created some maps that I can view on my phone. There are still some things to be developed ofcourse. Right now, it's pretty much a viewer on my phone. Another problem I'm having is that the maps in ArcGIS online are WGS 84 (I believe) and my data is in VA State Plane which caused some distortion. Haven't had the time to play with it and figure that out yet.
0 Kudos
MicheleMattix2
New Contributor
Hello Everyone -

Esri is looking at the evolution of handheld devices and is committed to supporting the operating systems used in the mainstream devices.  This is something we at Esri are working on and we will share more information over time.
0 Kudos
JohnZimmerman
New Contributor
Hello Everyone -

Esri is looking at the evolution of handheld devices and is committed to supporting the operating systems used in the mainstream devices.  This is something we at Esri are working on and we will share more information over time.

Please do: I am dying to switch from my tiny screen PDA to one of the new tablets.
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
Hi dashiell,

Currently there is no support for ArcPad on Windows Phone 7. At this stage no professional hardware manufacturer (such as Trimble, Juniper, Magellan...) is developing on this platform or Android or Apple IOS.

It is not to say it won't. The natural progression is to Windows Embedded 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx and continuation of Desktop support.

If you want, put it up as a thought on the IDEAS Portal. This is where customers get to vote on suggestions for improvement and ESRI take these ideas into consideration through development.
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaList?c=09a300000004xET&category=ArcPad

windows embedded is a whole different kettle of fish.. its effectivly a very striped down version of windows(x86) to be able to run on solid non-volitile storage on very low powered devices.. Advantech sell lots of embedded PCs of which I have used a few on barges in Hydro jobs.

Where as Windows Mobile/phone is based on windows CE which is complied for arm processors(just like android and iPhone).
0 Kudos