ArcPublisher 10 pmf backward compatibility

08-03-2010 07:29 AM
AndrewKuether
New Contributor
Will the Publisher extension create pmf files compatible with any earlier versions of ArcReader?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JasonSmith
New Contributor II
I just got off the phone with tech support and they say there is no backward compatability at this time, but they are going to see if there is a workflow that can be used to achieve this effect.
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
Reader is free, just upgrade to ArcReader 10.
0 Kudos
AnaOuriques
New Contributor
Very frustrating. Publisher license is very expensive and I was expecting it would have an option for publishing a map in different versions "publish v9.3, publish v10" etc

I hope ESRI find a solution for this soon.
0 Kudos
DavidRunneals
New Contributor II
I'm having some of the same issues, but mine stem from trying to publish a 10.1 map to be able to be read by 10.0 arcreader...

My boss suggested to "Save a Copy" of the 10.x MXD in the needed version (you can go as far back as 8.3 when saving). Then open that MXD you just created. Try publishing it again. I don't know if this works yet, as our EMC hasn't gotten back to me yet, but ideally it should because you have a 10.0 mxd... I'll let you know if I figure anything out...
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
Saving a copy as 10.0 and publishing it will not work.  In our office I am the only one on 10.1, everyone else being on 10.0.  But since publisher is a floating license if I need to update any of our ArcReaders I do it on another computer.
0 Kudos
AnaOuriques
New Contributor
Also, if you upgrade your ArcMap to 10.1, you will have problems using arcreader 10. THis is very annyoing...
I don't feel like upgrading my ArcMap anymore.
0 Kudos
AnaOuriques
New Contributor
I'm having some of the same issues, but mine stem from trying to publish a 10.1 map to be able to be read by 10.0 arcreader...

My boss suggested to "Save a Copy" of the 10.x MXD in the needed version (you can go as far back as 8.3 when saving). Then open that MXD you just created. Try publishing it again. I don't know if this works yet, as our EMC hasn't gotten back to me yet, but ideally it should because you have a 10.0 mxd... I'll let you know if I figure anything out...

Hi, this unfortunately does not work. You can save a copy in a different version but it will still publish it with the version you currently have. Say you have v10, your map will be published as a pmf v10.
0 Kudos