slow basemaps

05-06-2011 05:22 AM
JacobDarrah
New Contributor
hi, i am creating a simple map for my company using shapefiles and a basemap.  our data covers some of texas but mainly in the eastern US.  I have been publishing maps for these guys using the USA Topo Maps basemaps from ESRI and they run very slow.  I know its the maps because everything runs fine when its only the shapefiles open.  Is there a way to use these maps and not use the online service?  Any suggestions on getting this run faster would be appreciated.  Thanks.

and yes, i need Topo maps for these guys.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DrewSteffens1
New Contributor
ArcGIS online has some good basemap layers for download. I am not sure if USGS topos are there but there is a shaded relief map that is just as aesthetically pleasing and seems that it may work for your purpose.  It's just lacking the information topos provide. Having it saved locally, however, will definitely decrease load time. 

If you are interested in the information of the topo maps more than how they look I would suggest adjusting the visible extent to only allow the layer to appear at 1:100,000 or less.  At greater extents use a layer you have saved locally such as the shaded relief suggested above and have that turn off when you get to 1:100,001 to make a seamless transition to the topo layer.
0 Kudos