AutoCAD drawing does not align with ArcGIS Pro location

11-12-2018 06:13 AM
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello,

When I import an already georeferenced AutoCAD drawing into ArcGIS Pro, it does not land on the correct location. 

I have used the following different ways to georeference my drawing in AutoCAD:

1. On AutoCAD 2018 there is a Geolocation tool in where I choose the geographic coordinate system and then start to draw. In ArcGIS I add the drawing and define the projection with the CAD Layer Tools Georeference tool to make sure its coordinate system is the same as the one I choose in AutoCAD but the drawing falls in another location way far. (To Set Geographic Location from a Map | AutoCAD 2018 | Autodesk Knowledge Network )

2. I also tried using these directions in AutoCAD using the Arcgis for AutoCAD extension and then added the drawing in ArcGIS and it did not work either

Dropbox - Tutorial Manual.pdf 

I know how to manually scale and move the drawing to its correct location once it has been added into ArcGIS Pro using control points but I need the drawing to fall where I need it without me having to do it manually.

I keep on reading about world files but I don't understand if I still need one even if the drawing has been georeferenced in AutoCAD using the tools they provide. If I need a world file how do I create one? 

I don't understand what I am doing wrong since both AutoCAD and GIS have the same coordinate system.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you,

#arcgis for autocad

#coordinate system projection

#autocad 2018

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WestervilleGIS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Natalia,

I am having the same issue. Would you be able to repost the Dropbox link since it appears to be deleted? Thank you!

0 Kudos
ShoroukMohamed
New Contributor

Hi Natali , 

I have same problem , Could You share Your tutorial again please ?

0 Kudos