How to download a configured story map?

Jump to solution
01-12-2017 11:51 AM
KimberlyGraham1
New Contributor III

I have several already configured story maps, but for several reasons, the department would like us to host them on our own web server.  I can no longer find an option to download Story Maps that are completed - is there a way to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kimberly, You can download the source code for any of the Story Map apps, and host that source code on your own web site, web server or web hosting space. Look for the 'Download configurable app' link to the zip file towards the bottom of the home page for any of our apps (such as this page: Story Map Journal) or via Github.

In this way your story map's URL that yoiur end-users will launch will use the address of the server where the code is hosted, rather than the ArcGIS Online URL. This configuration also enables the source code to be further customized by a developer, if desired.

In this configuration you point the source code at your story map in ArcGIS Online that you want it to display. So in other words, for example you can create a Story Map Journal in ArcGIS Online, then host the Story Map Journal code on your own server and point it at the Journal you created in ArcGIS Online. In this configuration, the app definition, maps and map data remain hosted in ArcGIS Online, it is just the source code for the app that you host. You can also configure a downloaded Story Map app to point at resources hosted in your enterprise in Portal for ArcGIS instead of ArcGIS Online.

Hope that helps?

Rupert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kimberly, You can download the source code for any of the Story Map apps, and host that source code on your own web site, web server or web hosting space. Look for the 'Download configurable app' link to the zip file towards the bottom of the home page for any of our apps (such as this page: Story Map Journal) or via Github.

In this way your story map's URL that yoiur end-users will launch will use the address of the server where the code is hosted, rather than the ArcGIS Online URL. This configuration also enables the source code to be further customized by a developer, if desired.

In this configuration you point the source code at your story map in ArcGIS Online that you want it to display. So in other words, for example you can create a Story Map Journal in ArcGIS Online, then host the Story Map Journal code on your own server and point it at the Journal you created in ArcGIS Online. In this configuration, the app definition, maps and map data remain hosted in ArcGIS Online, it is just the source code for the app that you host. You can also configure a downloaded Story Map app to point at resources hosted in your enterprise in Portal for ArcGIS instead of ArcGIS Online.

Hope that helps?

Rupert

KimberlyGraham1
New Contributor III

Yes, thank so much!  I was thinking  there was a way to download like you do WebApps so thanks for pointing me the right way!

0 Kudos