Posting Story Maps to Facebook

Jump to solution
01-14-2016 02:50 PM
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

When I post a link to one of our Story Map Journals on Facebook I am getting a less than ideal preview. Here is an example:

The title and text are not very good for promotional purposes. The HTML snippet looks especially terrible. I am sure that Facebook used to allow the user to edit these before you posted, but that feature appears to have disappeared.

We would like to promote this via our organisation's Facebook page, but I am certain that the marketing folk will not get on board if it looks like this. Is there anything I can do with an Esri hosted Story Map to ensure that the title and text are more "share friendly"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James,

The three elements that are used to populate the Facebook dialog are: the item thumbnail, title and the summary. You can edit those information from the application item page or using My Stories | Story Maps .

If you clean up your summary to not include any HTML markup I think you will be in a pretty good state.

The only part that is not under your control is the start of the title, please let me know if you would like that removed and I can submit an enhancement request for it.

Note that after you edit your item, you may have to use the following Facebook tool to see the change immediately https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James,

The three elements that are used to populate the Facebook dialog are: the item thumbnail, title and the summary. You can edit those information from the application item page or using My Stories | Story Maps .

If you clean up your summary to not include any HTML markup I think you will be in a pretty good state.

The only part that is not under your control is the start of the title, please let me know if you would like that removed and I can submit an enhancement request for it.

Note that after you edit your item, you may have to use the following Facebook tool to see the change immediately https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Gregory! That worked perfectly.

I would appreciate it if you could submit the enhancement request regarding the title text.

0 Kudos