Within hosted ArcGIS Online, how do I label my points in a Story Map tour?

Jump to solution
08-01-2015 06:43 AM
CarolAbrams
New Contributor

Hello, two questions from a non-coder using the Story Map Tour template within hosted ArcGIS Online: 1) With the options to color-code my entries (with the four default choices), where/how do I insert a legend as to what those colors denote? 2) I understand how I can add a tour stop with my image, name, description etc. that appears in the large, lovely box. How do I get a text label to appear on the map for that stop as well?

Is there any way that a non-coder could add an introductory text panel/transparency and a text panel/transparency with my map's references?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Carol,

1 - There is no configuration option to add a legend to a Map Tour at this time, but you can add some text to your subtitle to denote what the colors mean. See this example. The text fields in the Map Tour support HTML tags, so to change the styling of some text use a <span> tag as shown below with a hex color value or name.

My map tour title contains <span style="color:dodgerblue"><b>some bold, blue text</b></span>.

2 - You can add a label to each tour point by opening the web map that was created when you made your map tour and configuring labels on the tour point layer. You can find the web map in your My Content (it should have the same name as your Map Tour app) or use My Stories on the Story Maps website to find your Map Tour and click Edit Map to open it (see this blog post for more info about editing a Map Tour web map).

Regarding #2, To avoid cluttering the map, I'd recommend using labels only with a plain basemap like the grey or dark canvas. You could also consider only labeling certain key tour points instead of all of them. To do this you could add a copy of your tour point layer that you filter to only show the points you need to label.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Carol,

1 - There is no configuration option to add a legend to a Map Tour at this time, but you can add some text to your subtitle to denote what the colors mean. See this example. The text fields in the Map Tour support HTML tags, so to change the styling of some text use a <span> tag as shown below with a hex color value or name.

My map tour title contains <span style="color:dodgerblue"><b>some bold, blue text</b></span>.

2 - You can add a label to each tour point by opening the web map that was created when you made your map tour and configuring labels on the tour point layer. You can find the web map in your My Content (it should have the same name as your Map Tour app) or use My Stories on the Story Maps website to find your Map Tour and click Edit Map to open it (see this blog post for more info about editing a Map Tour web map).

Regarding #2, To avoid cluttering the map, I'd recommend using labels only with a plain basemap like the grey or dark canvas. You could also consider only labeling certain key tour points instead of all of them. To do this you could add a copy of your tour point layer that you filter to only show the points you need to label.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CarolAbrams
New Contributor

Thank you very much for pointing me to some beautiful examples, especially

the "America's Old Bars" map. I was able to use the HTML in my subtitle as

you suggested.

FYI, here's the link to my story map tour (still in progress): My map is at

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=7c7196a12a664226b6602b6e513f9b0d

I live in Alexandria, VA, so you've helped a neighbor.

==

Carol Abrams

Masters Degree Candidate in Library and Information Sciences

University of Tennessee

(703) 566-3314

cabrams2@vols.utk.edu

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm happy to have helped a neighbor! The photos in your map tour look great!

Owen Evans
0 Kudos