I have received an hardrive from a geophysical survey with the following data:

MBES- DTM : Density xyz   xyz file

DTM xyz        xyz file

Slope xyg       xyz file

MAG : text file

SSS:   Mosaic: .tif and .twf file

Raw data: xtf data

SBP:  .sgy files

I do not know how to import them into ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop and I do not have 3D Spatial Analyst tool. (But I have QGIS which sometimes makes the job).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

F.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

These "issue" for me has not been solved yet. We asked to the survey company to deliver the data in GIS format to let me able to use them.

In the meanwhile I have a couple of new things to ask.

Is the 3D Analyst licence the same of Spatial Analyst licence? We are in the process of taking some decision about purchasing a new licence but I am not sure what I really need now. I have another task for this project which is to compare the Bathy contour from two different survey in different years.

Let's say Bathy A contour - Bathy B contour.

I  am not sure whether it something I can achieve with 3d analyst or Spatial Analyst (or whether once I buy the 3d analyst I will have automatically the Spatial analyst tools activated as well)

Thanks a lot

Francesca

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

No 3D analyst is not the same as Spatial Analyst. They are separate extensions (but some of use have wondered for years why they are not bundled together.

SA does most of the raster and raster surface stuff. 3DA tins and you can do quite a lot with 3d geometries (Multipatches).

If you are dealing with comparisons of surfaces (like bathymetry), you will probably want to do that with raster surfaces and use SA. But could also do this with 3DA using tins.

Confusing, huh...

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply and for help. I do not think my company will  be happy to buy2 licences at the same time (considering we use GIS few times).

So I might suggest to buy the 3d analyst. So do you confirm it is possible to do it with 3da using tins? ( I might need some help afterwards)

Thanks

F.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Not sure, I would probably go with spatial analyst, but that's just me.

spatial-analyst-toolbox

3d-analyst-toolbox

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Thanks.

Do you know if is there any chance to do it with QGIS?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You can do a lot of stuff with QGIS, but this is the esri forum!

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Totally right. sorry about that. and thanks for your suggestions.

Have a nice day

F.

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

I have one more question about survey data.

I got other offshore survey data. the survey has been divided into Blocks.

For the same block let s say block 1 I have 3 files:

- LAT_XYG_Block1.xyz

- LAT_XYS_Block1.xyz

-LAT_XYZ_Block1.xyz

X and Y coordinates are the same, but from your experience, do you have any idea of what would be the main differences between the files?

As per our previous correspondences I am not able to import the data into GIS at the moment so I have no clue of what this data might be. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance and I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

F.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry for the long delay, holidays....

Can you post a snapshot of the first few lines in each file? What do the numbers look like?

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

thank you for coming back to me. I wish I could take a screenshot of the data, but it seems that my computer cannot open them anymore with the Notepad (probably because they are huge and my computer is almost dying). Luckily it seems I do not have to deal with these raw data anymore so for the moment I have just given up.

Thank you anyway for your help

Have a nice weekend

F.

0 Kudos