Adding fields to Subtype in ArcCatalog 10

07-18-2012 09:05 AM
JigeeshuJoshi
New Contributor
Hello,

I am currently facing problems to add custom fields to subtypes of a feature class. The situation is this: one feature class has many subtypes, only one of the subtypes need to have a new field which is not in the parent feature class. This field has a coded value domain on it.

feature class: Utility
Subtypes: sewage lines, other lines, electric_cable....etc
To electric_cable I need to add a field cable_type[domain: distribution_line/transmission_line].

In ArcCatalog I am unable to do this. Is this possible?

Please Help!!

Jigeeshu Joshi
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am currently facing problems to add custom fields to subtypes of a feature class. The situation is this: one feature class has many subtypes, only one of the subtypes need to have a new field which is not in the parent feature class. This field has a coded value domain on it.

feature class: Utility
Subtypes: sewage lines, other lines, electric_cable....etc
To electric_cable I need to add a field cable_type[domain: distribution_line/transmission_line].

In ArcCatalog I am unable to do this. Is this possible?

This is not possible.  Subtypes inherit the fields from the feature class; so when a field is added to a feature class; it applies to all subtypes.  If you have a scenario like this where a field only applies to 1 subtype and not others; that is case where we recommend that you break the feature class out into multiple feature classes.  The other option is to add the field to the feature class and not populate it for the subtypes to which it does not apply.  I wouldn't recommend this option, it can lead to confusion and incorrect data.

It's very rare to have a single class called "utility lines" with different types of utility lines contained within it.  Besides their geometry and some basic attributes; sewage lines and electric cables have very little in common.
0 Kudos
JigeeshuJoshi
New Contributor
so as i understand, feature class and their subtype class is not the same as 'Inheritance' in object oriented programming concepts.

we cannot have specific properties for subtypes besides the properties of its parent class. And hence, since no field can be added to subtype class, there is no way that it can have domains.

Thank You Craig,
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
we cannot have specific properties for subtypes besides the properties of its parent class.

There are some properties that can be specific for Subtypes that differ from the properties of the feature class; examples of this are the attribute domains and default values.  However, the field collection for a feature class also applies to the Subtypes; so the field collection cannot differ between the feature class and subtype.

And hence, since no field can be added to subtype class, there is no way that it can have domains.

To be clear, you can assign different attribute domains to a field at the subtype level.
0 Kudos