Administer SDE without Versioning Lineage Tree?

Jump to solution
10-10-2013 08:42 AM
Occasional Contributor III
Hello! This is more of a conversation than a problem-oriented question; if it is in the wrong place, let me know, and I will move it.

We are soon to migrate to 10.2, and I have never before been without my GDBT extension Versioning Lineage tree.  We have about 70 versioned editors, maintain 9 replicas, and run a pretty tight ship--reconcile all versions and aim for a full compression every night (legitimate long-term transactions excepted).  Every morning, I open the Versioning Lineage tree, and can see at a glance if any of these processes has an issue.

For those ArcSDE Admins who either have never used the GDBT toolset, or those who are already in the 10.2 environment: how do you check for full compression, conflicted versions, orphaned replica versions, etc., and with what regularity? 

Thank you!
11 Replies
Occasional Contributor III
To follow up on this thread, here is SQL to identify those states which should have been compressed, but weren't:

select sde.sde_states.state_id, parent_state_id, lineage_name, name
from sde.SDE_states
left join sde.SDE_versions
on sde.sde_states.state_id
= sde.sde_versions.state_id
order by state_id;

You're looking for those records whose name is NULL.

This will return those states which are "above" Default, as depicted in the attachments on this post: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/53566-Versioning-Lineage
RonaldBeloin
New Contributor II

Here's a bit of python code, using pandas and networkx, to create a rough lineage network.

Both of these libraries are included in WinPython, a collection of scientific packages.

I'm just learning pandas so this was something to play with.

Enjoy.

sdeGraphImg.png