ArcSDE not compressing

10-14-2010 06:44 AM
KevinReeves
New Contributor
We are running ArcSDE 9.3.1 on Oracle 11g.  We have a scheduled task that runs every night and compresses the database down to state id 0.  I check it every morning and then analyze the database.  A few days ago it showed that the state id was not back down to 0.  I ran the compress several times and it says that it successfully compressed the state tree, but the state id is not back down to zero.  I am not sure what the problem is or how I can rectify it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Please review this Knowledge Base article:

KB #29160 - How To:  Compress a versioned database to state 0

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
KevinReeves
New Contributor
That is exactly what we do every single night.  And now for some reason, it is not working.  It says the state tree is successfully compressed, but the state id is still not at 0.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The compress operation eliminates states with exactly one successor state (parents
of 'only' children, if you will).  Successful completion just means that compress has
done the best that it can with the state tree, not that all branches have been pruned.

A state 0 compression cannot occur if any state has branches (two or more children).
If there are no outstanding versions or locks, it's possible that your state tree is corrupted
(though it's probably only a minor issue).  I'd recommend you contact Tech Support,
since they have access to diagnostic utilities to assess the contents of your state tree.

- V
0 Kudos