Export To CAD - Arctoolbox - DGN_V8 issue

01-25-2012 07:50 AM
BrandonBatt
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am trying to export a shapefile of a few streams (polylines) as a DGN using the Export To CAD tool with the following parameters:

Input Features: streams.shp
OutputType: DGN_V8
Output File: streams_output.dgn
Ignore Paths in Tables: Checked
Append to Existing Files: unchecked
Seed File: client provided dgn (V7)

The seed file provided opens in Microstation Powerdraft XM fine, with the correct units shown (feet)

The input shapefile is defined in State Plane Coordinates (Georgia West (feet))

The tool runs with no errors, and the output file is readable in ArcMap (geometry and attribute table), however, I get an error when I attempt to open it in Microstation.

Any thoughts? The way that Microstation handles coordinates is alien to me, and I am having difficulty troubleshooting this problem.

-Brandon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am trying to export a shapefile of a few streams (polylines) as a DGN using the Export To CAD tool with the following parameters:

Input Features: streams.shp
OutputType: DGN_V8
Output File: streams_output.dgn
Ignore Paths in Tables: Checked
Append to Existing Files: unchecked
Seed File: client provided dgn (V7)

The seed file provided opens in Microstation Powerdraft XM fine, with the correct units shown (feet)

The input shapefile is defined in State Plane Coordinates (Georgia West (feet))

The tool runs with no errors, and the output file is readable in ArcMap (geometry and attribute table), however, I get an error when I attempt to open it in Microstation.

Any thoughts? The way that Microstation handles coordinates is alien to me, and I am having difficulty troubleshooting this problem.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,

ArcGIS supports creation of V8 files only. The seed file format should be V8.
0 Kudos
BrandonBatt
New Contributor II
Thank you for the clarification!

Running the Export to CAD tool with the aforementioned parameters but using the ESRI default seed file (template2d.dgn) produces a readable file, though my output units are meters regardless of the projection units specified in the input shapefile (Georgia State Plane West Feet). This makes sense, as the ESRI seed file is set to meters. I figured this could be remedied by creating a copy of the ESRI seed file and simply changing the working units to feet, and using this copy as the seed file in the Export to CAD tool. The result, however, is still an unreadable output file, even though the seed file used is a V8 dgn file.

What am I missing?

-Brandon
0 Kudos
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III

Running the Export to CAD tool with the aforementioned parameters but using the ESRI default seed file (template2d.dgn) produces a readable file, though my output units are meters regardless of the projection units specified in the input shapefile (Georgia State Plane West Feet). This makes sense, as the ESRI seed file is set to meters. I figured this could be remedied by creating a copy of the ESRI seed file and simply changing the working units to feet, and using this copy as the seed file in the Export to CAD tool. The result, however, is still an unreadable output file, even though the seed file used is a V8 dgn file.

What am I missing?

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,
Can you contact Tech support?
0 Kudos
StacyCulpepper
New Contributor III

What am I missing?

-Brandon

Brandon,

Don't know if you solved your issue or not yet, but in case you did not:  Make sure you choose C:\Program Files\ESRI\Data Interoperability Extension\design\seed3d_ft_v8.dgn  This file will take care of the variation in Units (it did for me anyway). 

Stacy  (william.s.culpepper@mail.mil)
0 Kudos