ImageServer, ArcGIS Server for publishing JPG2000 Files in ArcGISServer APP

07-20-2011 03:42 AM
UlfGrimhardt
New Contributor
Hi

i'm planning an Silverlight Application using the ArcGIS Server Silverlight API. The App should be used to show lots of huge raster data in JPG2000 Format.
Now i am thinking about a way to publish those Raster Images.

What would be the best way to do so?
1. Publishing the Images via Image Server which i load into into the MXD that gets published by ArcGISServer as MapService?
2. Or is there a Way to do it without the ImageServer?

It would be great if you could tell me what the most effective way with the best performance would be!

Thanks in Advance!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
You can publish each image (JPEG 2000) file as an image service.
Or, if you have the Image extension, you can create a mosaic dataset from the images and publish the mosaic dataset as an image service.
To add it to your Web App, use the ArcGISImageServiceLayer Class.
0 Kudos
UlfGrimhardt
New Contributor
First of all, thanks for your answer!

I will check that ImageService thing, but i am a little bit confused concerning the ImageServer. Isnt that an option? Where is the difference?
0 Kudos
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
To publish a single JPEG 2000 file as an image service, you do not need the Image extension for ArcGIS Server. But if you want to publish multiple files as a single image service you require the Image extension.

In the past, to publish multiple files as a single image service you needed the Image extension (aka ArcGIS Image Server). This was a standalone server application with a toolbar in ArcMap to create ISDefs.

These topics might help...
ArcGIS Server Image extension version 10 versus 9.3
Tutorial: Publishing an image service
0 Kudos
StephenBourne
New Contributor
I have a related issue.  I've published a raster as an image service in ArcMap 10.  I have both ArcGIS server 10 and Image Server 10.  I'm able to see the service in a remote version of ArcMap 10 and ArcMap 9.3.  But, when I try to add the service to a silverlight 4 app, it is not displayed on the web map.  No error is generated, and I'm able to query properties of the layer in silverlight during runtime.  This means the layer is being added.  But, nothing is visualized.  Is there something I'm missing about publishing the service?  Should there be some sort of legend for symbolizing associated with either the service, or included in the silverlight client app?  Note that when I add the same raster to an MXD and publish the MXD as a map service, it visualized just fine in the silverlight app.

Thanks.

Steve Bourne
0 Kudos