Match if Candidates Tie Problem

Jump to solution
07-16-2012 08:31 AM
BrittanyGale
Occasional Contributor
Hello! I am trying to geocode using an address locator provided by Esri ("10.0 US Street Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)"). About 40% of the addresses I tried to geocode are showing up in the yellow tied category. I checked the box for "match if candidates tie", however, they're still showing up in the yellow with the status of "Tied", but I would like to see them in the green! I noticed that, say for example "1 Pond View", there are two candidates that match 100%, so I believe the program does not know which 100% match address to pick. This is the case for all 700+ addresses that went into the Tied category. I'm relatively new with this and need some help or ideas. Has anyone else ever encountered this? How do I tell the program to pick either one of the 100% matches arbitrarily? Why won't the "match if candidates tie" checkbox stay checked?! Thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewOelschlegal
New Contributor III
Brittany,

If there are multiple candidates with the same high score and the "Match if Candidates Tie" box is checked, then the status will show tied even though the locator matched to one of those tied candidates.  If not checked, the status will show as unmatched.  Are you using a community name, zip, state, and/or country or only the address like the one you identified above?  If not then I would recommend it as adding additional criteria should narrow down the search.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewOelschlegal
New Contributor III
Brittany,

If there are multiple candidates with the same high score and the "Match if Candidates Tie" box is checked, then the status will show tied even though the locator matched to one of those tied candidates.  If not checked, the status will show as unmatched.  Are you using a community name, zip, state, and/or country or only the address like the one you identified above?  If not then I would recommend it as adding additional criteria should narrow down the search.

Matt
0 Kudos
BrittanyGale
Occasional Contributor
You're right. The tied candidates do have a geometry. Now I won't worry about that damn T status anymore. To answer your question, I included the city and state as well. Thank you for your help! 🙂
0 Kudos