Reverse geocoding points to nearest address

12-07-2011 04:20 AM
StevenRussell_Jr_
New Contributor III
I'm trying to find the nearest address for a series of points.  I have a parcel layer i'm trying to use for addresses.

I was able to use the Reverse Geocode (RG) function in ArcToolbox to get a start.  However, i had to use an address locator based on a street centerline file.  Upon inspection of the addresses, the addresses the RG found were linearly interpolated from the addresses in the "line" data from the street centerline file.  Consequently, a lot of those addresses do not exist.

I tried to create an address locator with Parcels, and then RG the points.  Everytime i did this ArcMap crashed.  I'm assuming you can't use an address locator built with polygons to RG.

Any idea how i should go about doing this?  I have roughly 40,000 points that need a closest address. 

Thanks,

Steve
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
What if you performed a spatial join of your points into the parcel polygons. No doubt you'll get multiple joins but from what you describe that's okay.

Hope this helps.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
StevenRussell_Jr_
New Contributor III
There are no common fields between Parcels and Street Signs.  So i can't do a join.

My next step is to try a composite address locator built using a street centerline file and a parcel polygon.

After that it's an intern 😉

What if you performed a spatial join of your points into the parcel polygons. No doubt you'll get multiple joins but from what you describe that's okay.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
There are no common fields between Parcels and Street Signs.  So i can't do a join.

My next step is to try a composite address locator built using a street centerline file and a parcel polygon.

After that it's an intern 😉

Emphasis on SPATIAL JOIN. GIS 101; point in polygon. That's how you'll get the polygon address onto the point location.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
Yup, what Joe said. And be sure to select the second radio button when you're creating the spatial join.
0 Kudos