Select Tool throws error - there was an error executing the query

Jump to solution
05-06-2013 01:34 PM
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
An invalid SQL statement was used - I've never seen this before. Has anyone else? What is the cause and how can I fix it. It seems to be map specific. I know I can make a new map and it isn't happening in all my maps. I'm very curious as to why it's happening and if there is a way to fix it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
denisedavis
Thanks for your response. After looking through the map we found the layer that was causing the error. We were able to use the select tool once we turned the layer off.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
An invalid SQL statement was used - I've never seen this before. Has anyone else? What is the cause and how can I fix it. It seems to be map specific. I know I can make a new map and it isn't happening in all my maps. I'm very curious as to why it's happening and if there is a way to fix it.

It normally occurs if you have a label expression that was stored on a layer that no longer makes sense.  If field names were dropped or changed this error will occur when the label engine fires up if the label property of the field is still enabled.  It should list the Feature Class that is failing in the error message, which should lead you to the layer that is failing.  If this is not it, then the definition query of a layer is similarly corrupted.
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Thanks for your response. After looking through the map we found the layer that was causing the error. We were able to use the select tool once we turned the layer off.
0 Kudos